Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Or Fake? Russian 2 Kopek 1815

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 498Next Topic  

India
31 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  1:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add amitav1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. ***

I got a Russian 2 Kopek 1815 coin but not sure if the coin is genuine. Kindly help..

Edited by amitav1978
06/11/2021 1:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3453 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
India
31 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amitav1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone was telling me that the metal is impure and so the wanted to take advice from experts of the coin as I dont have idea how to determine the metal which can make a person to comment on the coin as fake.

Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
4077 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I dont have idea how to determine the metal

XRF.
Learn More...
United States
20095 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@amit, can you please post the weight and diameter? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It just looks like surface corrosion (environmental damage) typical of many old copper or bronze coins.

Here are photos of a real one
https://wcn.pl/archive/77682?q=rosja+1815+2+
Edited by tdziemia
06/12/2021 10:50 am
India
31 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amitav1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you every respected members who gave there expertise view. I really appreciate everyone's help.
My one query is -Did the Russian Emperor period the metals used for producing coins were mix metals or always contain pure metal?

Regards!
A
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert on these coins, but I think the answer is" it depends on which coin, and what you mean by "pure."

Catalogs call your 2 kopeck coin "copper." My guess is that this is copper containing maybe 1 - 2% of other impurities after the smelting process. Bronze for coins typically has at least 5% of other metals intentionally added (mixed) to copper.

"Silver" coins made in the Russian Empire at the same time contained 87% silver.

Maybe one of our Russian members has more details.
Edited by tdziemia
06/16/2021 4:28 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13734 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with your coin is not "impure metal". It's just corroded.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3365 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper coins of this era often had some impurities but not of any real value.

Earlier Russian copper coins struck in Siberia often had traces of precious metal which is they had high face value for the weight it's meant to be.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05