Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Denarius And Drachma: Real Or Fake ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 306Next Topic  
Brazil
22 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  7:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Flaseri to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Friends would like the evaluation of all, I don't have much knowledge and I intend to buy them, what do you think? Tks

PIC 01
DENARIUS COIN ANTONINUS.2,6 GR.18 MM

PIC 02
DRACHMA COIN DIKAIOU 1,8 GR 15 MM

Valued Member
United Kingdom
54 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm only new to this great hobby myself so I would wait for the experts on here to post.

I personally don't think the second coin is genuine (haven't looked at your 1st coin in detail yet).

Your 2nd coin looks to hit a number of red flags that this very helpful guide I'm currently studying trains you to look out for - https://www.all-your-coins.com/en/b...naie-antique

I've highlighted what looks like a mold bubble?

Cheers Jay
Pillar of the Community
United States
887 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos of the edge might help. Take a close look are these black deposits or little bubbles (I can't tell)? If it's little bubbles, then that is a sign of casting.

First thought is that the Caracalla may be genuine, but way over-cleaned. Second coin not too sure on.

Edited by travelcoin
06/11/2021 8:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
23584 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight of the denarius is a little light, so I think it might be a fouree. I don't like to look of the surface of the Menander drachm, IMO it's a fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't buy them. Except for an inexpensive Constantinian bronze or two, all of this seller's inventory is fake, most of it laughably so.

Please see my comments in this recent topic: http://goccf.com/t/402225
Edited by Kushanshah
06/11/2021 10:03 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
54 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Don't buy them. Except for an inexpensive Constantinian bronze or two, all of this seller's inventory is fake, most of it laughably so.

Please see my comments in this recent topic: http://goccf.com/t/402225

Now I have seen who the ebay seller is my 1st assessment was on the money....dah dah dum.

If you have won them buddy and have paid I would apply for refund.

Sadly this guy is notorious for selling fakes as genuine.

Cheers Jay
Brazil
22 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flaseri to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for the answers, I'm new here, as you can see, my specialty is in Militaria,

I'll study more deeply the indications given here and if you have more website tips, books on the subject will be very useful in my learning.

These coins were not bought, I waited for your evaluations and in this case I was removing this seller from my menu and if you have another one on Ebay that is serious, please let me know. Thank you very much
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 306Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05