Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Nice Canadian Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 834Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  01:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here one of my nice Canadian half penny tokens.

There happen to many varities of this one, I heard..

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1857 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice!
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one. Looks like Lees 37, Charlton PE-10-37.
Valued Member
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best to hold coins by the edge and not touch the surfaces.
A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
Valued Member
Netherlands
51 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice token. I see you live close by, maybe we can meet up some time
Edited by Gebs
06/12/2021 09:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
634 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice indeed - not at all common at that grade.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelguy thank you!

@1960NYGiants , do you have a picture of that catalog? they all seem so similair to me

@echidna, thank you for your comment. Will keep that in mind!

@gebs, stuur me een berichtje , wellicht kunnen we wat regelen om eens af te spreken. Altijd leuk!

@ silver101, many thanks for your reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4236 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Vince1977, there are about 50 varieties of the PE-10 token, 19 pages in my Charlton catalogue. They can be a challenge to identify. Yours is not a rare one. Not the most common, but fairly common. It is in better condition than mine, and seems to be in at least XF condition.
Edited by oriole
06/12/2021 10:44 am
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Vince1977

Judge W.A.D. Lees original work was published in 1917 in The American Numismatic Journal. A copy may be available to download from the Newman Numismatic Portal.

In 2006, Greg Ingram + Branko Marelic published The Ships Colonies & Commerce Tokens of Colonial Canada. This work provided detail photos of the different die pairs / varieties (approx. 52). Highly recommended for the beginning and advanced collector.

In 2019, Chris Faulkner published Imperial Designs - Canada's Ships, Colonies & Commerce Tokens. This book is more than just a catalog. It includes biographies, auction records, and detailed writeups for each variety. This book is a must for the serious collector.

Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all! This is very helpfull. I will take a look if I can buy one of those books for a decent price.

All best,
Vincent
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not Lees 37 but a Lees 45 with the characteristic die crack on the reverse. Lees 37 uses the same reverse die but in an earlier state. A nice example of a token that is somewhat on the scarcer side. Faulkner lists it as an R4 (out of 10) in the Imperial Designs book mentioned above, which is a must-read for any lover of colonial tokens!
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should clarify that Charlton's PE-10-X numbering scheme is essentially equivalent (with a couple of variations) to that of Lees' original work.

A further note on distinguishing the varieties:

For the "Double H" group (ie. varieties with a second incuse H in the rightmost waves of the obverse; Lees 34-46) the presence of this line from the lowest foresail to the yard of spritsail indicates the obverse used for varieties 39-46 (34-38 do not have this line).

The fact that the yard of the spritsail projects beyond the sail to the right further narrows the obverse die to varieties 43-46.

As you can see, some of the differences between the Ships Colonies Commerce varieties are minute and need a little getting used to. The Charlton Catalogue covers the series quite nicely for those that don't want to get too deep into the weeds.
Edited by blargish
06/14/2021 6:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18213 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Dorado
06/19/2021 9:51 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
51 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@gebs, stuur me een berichtje , wellicht kunnen we wat regelen om eens af te spreken. Altijd leuk!

I can't send messages yet because I'm a "new" member. Maybey you can send me one
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 834Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05