Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Nice Canadian Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 715Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  01:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here one of my nice Canadian half penny tokens.

There happen to many varities of this one, I heard..

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1847 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice!
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one. Looks like Lees 37, Charlton PE-10-37.
Valued Member
Australia
374 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best to hold coins by the edge and not touch the surfaces.
A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
Netherlands
49 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice token. I see you live close by, maybe we can meet up some time
Edited by Gebs
06/12/2021 09:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
615 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice indeed - not at all common at that grade.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelguy thank you!

@1960NYGiants , do you have a picture of that catalog? they all seem so similair to me

@echidna, thank you for your comment. Will keep that in mind!

@gebs, stuur me een berichtje , wellicht kunnen we wat regelen om eens af te spreken. Altijd leuk!

@ silver101, many thanks for your reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4195 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Vince1977, there are about 50 varieties of the PE-10 token, 19 pages in my Charlton catalogue. They can be a challenge to identify. Yours is not a rare one. Not the most common, but fairly common. It is in better condition than mine, and seems to be in at least XF condition.
Edited by oriole
06/12/2021 10:44 am
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Vince1977

Judge W.A.D. Lees original work was published in 1917 in The American Numismatic Journal. A copy may be available to download from the Newman Numismatic Portal.

In 2006, Greg Ingram + Branko Marelic published The Ships Colonies & Commerce Tokens of Colonial Canada. This work provided detail photos of the different die pairs / varieties (approx. 52). Highly recommended for the beginning and advanced collector.

In 2019, Chris Faulkner published Imperial Designs - Canada's Ships, Colonies & Commerce Tokens. This book is more than just a catalog. It includes biographies, auction records, and detailed writeups for each variety. This book is a must for the serious collector.

Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all! This is very helpfull. I will take a look if I can buy one of those books for a decent price.

All best,
Vincent
Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not Lees 37 but a Lees 45 with the characteristic die crack on the reverse. Lees 37 uses the same reverse die but in an earlier state. A nice example of a token that is somewhat on the scarcer side. Faulkner lists it as an R4 (out of 10) in the Imperial Designs book mentioned above, which is a must-read for any lover of colonial tokens!
Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should clarify that Charlton's PE-10-X numbering scheme is essentially equivalent (with a couple of variations) to that of Lees' original work.

A further note on distinguishing the varieties:

For the "Double H" group (ie. varieties with a second incuse H in the rightmost waves of the obverse; Lees 34-46) the presence of this line from the lowest foresail to the yard of spritsail indicates the obverse used for varieties 39-46 (34-38 do not have this line).

The fact that the yard of the spritsail projects beyond the sail to the right further narrows the obverse die to varieties 43-46.

As you can see, some of the differences between the Ships Colonies Commerce varieties are minute and need a little getting used to. The Charlton Catalogue covers the series quite nicely for those that don't want to get too deep into the weeds.
Edited by blargish
06/14/2021 6:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Dorado
06/19/2021 9:51 pm
Netherlands
49 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@gebs, stuur me een berichtje , wellicht kunnen we wat regelen om eens af te spreken. Altijd leuk!

I can't send messages yet because I'm a "new" member. Maybey you can send me one
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 715Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05