Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Italian Or Malta Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 336Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  01:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
In my collection I have a coin I can't identify yet. Perhaps someone here has seen it before? It happens to look like a Italian or Malta mint. This is what I think due to the cross and open dots arround. It could be swiss aswell but that migth be far fetched...

Does anyone have any idea about this one?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5011 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse might have PHILI... but I cannot make out the design (possibly double struck?).

I think this type of cross might be used on Crusader states of the MIddle East, maybe some other places? Maybe we can see S I ? ? N. I checked denaros of Siena (Italy) but did not find a match (cross is not quite the same, and never anything in the angles)
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse looks like a garden from PHILIPS II. But the coin must be 150 years older then 1550's. We have them in the netherlands on dutch duiten from Holland and Zeeland but they are a few hundred years later.
Als none excist with a cross and a cross like this we don't have on dutch coins.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5011 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Navarre has some things that might be close:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces228778.html

On the date (or era), the font looks fairly modern. I would expect gothic lettering if the coin were from early 1400s . I would guess 1500 or later.

Edit: Maybe in your second photo, if it is rotated about 30 degrees clockwise, we see a large N in center, with a pellet to the side, so this could be a match?
Edited by tdziemia
06/12/2021 10:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are right. It looks very similair indeed. Nice find!

Felipe II (1556-1598). Cornado. Pamplona ?
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05