Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large Recent Spike In 1921 Peace Dollar Prices

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 540Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  08:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I realize this is due largely to the centennial release of the new 2021 dollars, but I was shocked after ordering a 1921 from a reliable dealer only 3 weeks ago at a cost of $165 in XF condition. Today I checked the same dealer and the cost is now $286 in XF. None of the other date Peace dollars have spiked like this. I figured that I had better get my 1928 too before any further potential spike so last week I also got the 1928 in AU for $306.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5286 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The market is reported up across the board.
COVID restrictions are over and transactions are increasing.
More demand equals high prices.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59457 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some pics?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prices have really spiked as evident by this graph:

There are still some of the local shops that could be picked I'm sure just need to look around and do it fast.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1160 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over all, the series has been extremely under-valued for years. Market prices are no where near the previous design, despite much lower examples in the mid to upper grades comparative. To pick up that lowest mintage 1928 for $306 was a very good deal. Compared with a similar mintage, the 1899 cc is around $3,000 in the same grade. PCGS shows 332 of the 1889 cc in AU50 and 281 of the 1928. The reason, of course, being popularity of each series. So as you've mentioned, the 2021 release increased popularity. Will that hold in the long term? Only time will tell. Personally? I think the Morgan series will rise as well to keep pace and separation of value.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
06/12/2021 3:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2655 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said Ballyhoo.

Personally, I'm not a big Morgan fan, and even less a fan of Peace dollars. So I've taken this time to sit back and enjoy the chaos unfold, while hopping on the opportunity to sell off unwanted/un-needed duplicates/triplicates of each series.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping that somebody had noticed this. I think the coin market is up in general but the 1921 Peace dollars have exploded. I bought an MS64 PCGS in 2019 for $700, and the ones I see on ebay now are going for 3 to 4 times that. just seems unusual for a surge in pricing like that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the increase is temporary ? I will probably wait to get one .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet they will go down n a year or so.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 540Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05