Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Wheat Cent. A Head Scratching Anomaly, Open To Interpretation.

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,774Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59457 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have nothing worthwhile to add, but a most interesting discusion indeed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4799 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cracked before the strike planchet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ KeepAChange, This it is not a POLL. This it is a deliberated alliterated coins to seem an error. Fakers and speculators do this. This very strait crack it is 3$ work to do. Please come with really planchet errors.
Edited by silviosi
06/12/2021 4:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
349 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silvi..this is a poll actually. I'm not a faker, and will proudly speculate my collection as I see fit. It is a conversation starter.
If it is "3$ work to do" then please show me how it is done.
It isn't searched if you dont know what you are looking for.
Edited by KeepTheChange
06/12/2021 5:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will never state you are a "faker". If I post how to do this, will be really open to all those who want to abuse. I really appreciate your passion for errors and most for planchet defaults.

What I say it is true and the process to do only the mint and the law enforcement entities has.

Maybe one day, we meet and you show me your collection of errors. will be a great day for me, because always when I see those accumulation of errors or varieties I discover something new.

Do not be offense. I have nothing against you. I state again this it is not a poll (on terms of this forum) then I suggest you to look very close to the markers of a crack planchet of your coin and even to the color of the coin and will tell you everything.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Please read this topic: http://goccf.com/t/402139 hope you will understand more. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KeepTheChange, On the photo request, here's what interests me. From that angle, I can almost see the structure of the metal surface inside the break. I would love to see a sharply focused shot showing the metal striations on the inside raised portion of the break. That may be a beast of a pic to capture, but it would be a clue.

As you know, the 1944-1946 cents were largely minted from recycled shell casings. The 1944-1946 cents have a composition of .95 CU, .05 Zn, rather than the previous and later composition of .95 CU, .05 Sn and Zn in a mixture. That would change the crystal lattice structure of the metal, and possibly make it a bit more brittle.

Any metal that is flexed repeatedly will weaken. That's part of the reason that the number of takeoff and landing cycles for a plane and the number of vehicles over a bridge are matters of concern. Cold temperatures also affect the way metals respond to stress. Unlike most types of steel, which is more brittle at very low temperatures, pure Cu is a cubic close packed (CCP) metal, and highly resistant to cold, even to cryogenic fracturing. While Zn is also a close pack metal, it has a different lattice than copper (hexagonal, rather than cubic, IIRC).

I can only move the ball so far down the field here. I work with metals, but I'm not a metallurgical engineer. (They are way above my pay grade!) I have a hunch, but I think your next stop very well may be a metallurgical engineer. I hope that I can at least point you toward a couple questions to ask.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ fortcollins: You seed very well what I sad. Hat off from my side. The only think it is in a processes of rolling, annealing and strike if the material break, due to the structure; is impossible to have this one. You are in metallurgy and you understand that the molecular structure and molecular physics could not be change.
Pillar of the Community
United States
808 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My non expert opinion is planchet defect which became altered in circulation either deliberately or not.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jasper62 hit it right. Incomplete shear cut. The bend is where the cutting blade came down on it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Cujohn: Simple question: Do you see really how the planchet is cut at the mint plant?
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have done this to a copper cent. What you do is pound a box cutter blade into it with a hammer. I chopped one into 1/4 sized prices this method and that is what it looks like.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a plane old craked planchet. I believe it dose happen from time to time. Just my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Oldfordman. You are wright on this method, but today they use other things. And I thing many come to ask only for the monetary factor and not for the coins.

@CuJohn: in my previous posts I put links of filmed mint production from Phil and Denver. The San Francisco will be posted in the fall. I suggest you to go to see. I thing it is interesting.

Edited by silviosi
06/12/2021 10:39 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05