Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004 P Peace Nickel - Die Polishing Gone Awry / Greaser / PMD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 271Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
224 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  11:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All.

I found this nickel in a roll. I see quite a bit of die polishing lines on the edges and between the lettering devices on both sides.

Reverse
1. The detail on the cuff on the right hand is missing
2. Thumb on right hand appears to be doubled
3. The initials NEN are mangled
4. Left side of E and 0 in 1803 barely perceptible, like the N on obverse- flattened
5. A at the end of AMERICA appears to be flattened

Obverse
1. 2004 - not sure what happened on the date, PMD?
2. N in IN looks like the middle is missing but when you look at it the line is visible but almost flat

Thank you for all the help from everyone. Hope my observations make sense, wondering if die polishing gone awry or a combination of grease / PMD...sorry if I am way off base.

Edited by Cons
06/12/2021 11:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1152 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die polishing won't affect low points of the die, like the collar detail, unless it wipes out the collar as well. The flattening and distortion on the reverse are evidence of a late stage die, one that's due for replacement.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you nick10. Really appreciate your help!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53567 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Polishing will affect the sub devices. (Just like what we are seeing on the missing areas of the fingers) The more the number polishing, the more the devices get smaller and disappear:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you coop. I will know to look for that specifically from now on!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 271Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05