Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Partial Date Buffalo Nickel Please

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 881Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  04:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Herestohoping to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this partial date Buffalo nickel can't tell if it's a 9 or a 2 at end of date. is their a way to bring back the date the last number is the only one I can see take a look

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40931 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing that came to my mind was 1929.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Herestohoping to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty I was thinking the same just couldn't tell if it was a 9 or a 2 ty for the input as always it's appreciated
Pillar of the Community
United States
5378 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a seven. A little too much glare in the photos.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15891 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to bring it back by leaving the coin in a
solution of 3 parts vinegar and 1 part peroxide , anywhere from 2 hours to 12 hours .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60919 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good formula. I'll guess 1929.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Herestohoping to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to try that won't Damage the coin right?
Edited by Herestohoping
06/13/2021 09:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1942 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, that will damage the coin. It will be what is called a restored date coin, or acid restored. (vinegar is an acid) As is, coin isn't worth much. acid restored dates aren't worth much unless it turns out to be a rare date or variety.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7376 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got an old fashioned polarizing lens to screw onto the front of a 35mm camera lens?

In college, many moons ago, I had a friend show me a dateless buffalo's date can be seen if you put it under the polarizing filter and look at it at an angle.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2968 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Add me to the 1929 list.

As stated, it will be a damaged coin, but as is, it's not worth much.

Option 1: keep it as is, a well worn 1929
Option 2: learning experience, restore the date, and have a damaged 1929, with more visible features.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15891 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll have to try that won't Damage the coin right?

Your worried about damaging the coin ? In it's present condition with or without the acid treatment that Nickel is worth about 20 !

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Herestohoping to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's my first Buffalo nickel I'm still pretty new to coin collecting lol that's why I asked
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were no 1922 Buffalo nickels. I'm going to vote for 1929, with a relatively high mintage of 36.4 million.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2320 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the left ribbon design, it has to be 1926-27-28-29. The design rules out the 1920-21-23-24-25 coins.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Herestohoping to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info I didn't even think of that
Pillar of the Community
United States
987 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's toast, no matter what the date, no hard feelings. The Buffalo nickel date design was not good for retaining dates. I have more partial dates than I can count.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 881Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05