Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919-S Lincoln With Some Type Of Plachet Issues.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 731Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2036 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent, I got hooked on this type of die clash a few years back and I always keep an eye out for them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a strong concentric die gouge. Not a premium for the coin. If it were a variety, it could be used as a marker. But There is not need for identifying this as it is not a variety coin. (as far as I can see on the images provided) Just a die event, the die suffered.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/14/2021 11:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop I picked this up because of the clash did not know at the time what caused it but need to have the coin in order to find out. I found it very interesting and it is a decent 1919-s. Thanks for your input it is always appreciated and welcomed. TD
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mark is on that area, but not a long as it should be to be a clash. Also on a clash, just the outlines of the fields are transferred to the victim die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop thanks for the pictures. Okay I got what you are saying it is a die event so no clash I am cool with that I learned some good knowledge off this coin. Thank for the help. TD
Pillar of the Community
United States
2036 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Coop
The mark on my 1916 is shorter and there is a mark on the obverse. So mine isn't a clash as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it is not from a clash, it can't be a clash issue. The affected area is just the opposite of a clash. Be area was scooped out on the die. So it would be a die gouge. It if it were a clash, then the fields would show an outline, not a scooped out area on the fields. At best, they would be a marker, not a clash event. A die polishing could remove a clash affect as it is surface on the fields. But a die gouge, would require that obliteration of the all the devices on the EPU to remove it. So the mint would leave the die alone and continue to use it as a die gouge. It would mean retire of the die, to remove the die gouge. So if we see more examples of this die, then they decided to use it. If the retired the die, there would be just a few examples of this die event. So I guess we will have to see if the number are limited, or larger. In time we could figure out which. But for now, we just know, the what that happened.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop is the base of the bust enough to cause that type of die gouge. Or would the edge of the die striking the be more likely? I ask because of the M.A.D's that happen and I believe there have been some tilted die strikes also. I know it would be a wild guess since no one was there to see what happened. This has just caused me to think more on how this happened.Just a curious mind at work that's all. TD
Pillar of the Community
United States
2036 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So
The similar marks on my 1928P-1DO-001 that's also listed as a tilted die clash are not a clash

And the similar mark that's part of my 1929-S rpm#1 veds is not a clash

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
stoneman227 Another excellent coin very nice.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the die gouge is on the EPU side (reverse die). Thus why it appears behind these devices. (deeper than fields)
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
2036 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No disrespect but of course it appears on the field part of the design.
The edge of the obverse design will dent the field of the reverse
Edited by stoneman227
06/15/2021 08:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4774 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say again, great photos!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 731Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05