Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterstamp Or Mintmark? Error Packaging?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 305Next Topic  

Australia
23 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This has been really bugging me after most of these coins on eBay are listed incorrectly I think.
The packaging of these coins states it is a Mintmarked coin which is a raised letter on its own.
Yet to me it is a Counterstamped coin which is a letter inside a stamped circle.
Here is a couple of examples for comment.

This last coin has both , a 'C' mintmark and a 'Bluebell' counterstamp just for comparison.
Please help me out here, am I wrong?

The last photos are of a Mintmarked coin in the correct packaging.

Edited by crab eater
06/14/2021 12:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6085 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@crab eater: Have a look at these two articles, I think your questions will be answered:

- Mintmarks, Privymarks and Counterstamps. What is the difference?

- Identifying One Dollar Mintmarks, Privy Marks and Counterstamps

They were written a decade or more ago, but they each have good, useful information.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Australia
23 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhhhhh........ Finally the answer I was looking for.
Thank you very much COMMEMS for your time to post this information.
I have even asked the RAM about this and was given round about information but you have cleared it up for me.
Thanks so much
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6085 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@crab eater: Glad you found the information useful! I'm always happy to help when and where I can!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1797 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think in 2005 the RAM had an article in the Coin and Banknote magazine setting the record straight and standardising what they were doing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6085 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Mr T: The links I provided above point to articles that provide clear information on the distinctions!

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 305Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05