Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 D Roosevelt Dime With Errors

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 541Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
54 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  04:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So here is a cool dime that I've been meaning to post for about a week now... Any help with what all is going on here?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40087 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please properly rotate photos before posting. Also, a few too many pics for one post. All I am seeing is circulation damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1, sir, you really don't see the extra rim edge opposite of the chunk of dime coming into the coin there? Pictures 4&5 I know that I can take another dime and place it perfectly on that indention or whatever chunk that's missing from the top. So I thought maybe it was an off-center strike? But there is clearly a hole other rim edge there... I get it from kind of seeing it right now that the two whole pictures of the coin aren't the greatest so I apologize but them close ups show em really nice... That's also why I included so many pics, but that didn't work...lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10839 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an off centre strike.
There is nothing I see on that coin that can't be contributed to damage or wear.
Always sceptical when someone states "errors", it is hard enough
to find one error on a coin let alone several.
Edited by JimmyD
06/14/2021 07:24 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

this looks to be a well circulated dime that has been damaged. The metal was displaced by the impact and forced over the reverse lettering and also pushing the coin out of round. It has to be Post Strike Damage as nothing in the minting process could have caused this. It was most likely a normal coin when it left the mint.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, just a normal coin with rim damage.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a picture I guess maybe that better represents what I'm talking about and actually shows better of why I think this is more than what you guys are saying... And I'm sorry I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt but I know what I'm looking at and once again I apologize I didn't take good enough pictures to really get the ring I thought I did cuz I can see it when I get home I'll get better pictures of it but this is the best one that I got right now that represents what I'm saying but you can see there's a whole another ring popping out of opposite of where the damage is on that coin. Thank you all for your patience with me on this too...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a controlled pneumatic blacksmith hammer ( not the construction type) blow then hit through maybe a pipe to simulate a rim. I other words PMD. Keep searching!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10839 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can only be one of two things, an error or damage.
As it could not have happened during the striking of the coin,
which is the only time an error can occur,
then it has to be damage, no matter how it happened.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And like a ton of breaks it hits me I now realize I've been using the wrong terminology as far as air and damage goes thank you fellas for driving that one home... At the end of the day my biggest curiosity is to just how it happened or if anybody knows how it happens but I will try to be more clear with my vocabulary when it comes to damage vs error... As always thank you, much appreciated!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the edge images were shown, it might be a partial collar, or just damage. Just can tell from the images provided. If so the edge could be affect on the coin. If it is damage, then the whole edge could be affected. But images of the edge would be helpful.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know that I can take another dime and place it perfectly on that indention or whatever chunk that's missing from the top.

SmackRampage, You appear to have answered your own question regarding how the damage to the rim occurred with the the above quote and the last photo you posted (twice) Someone likely placed another dime on top of the 1973 dime and hit it with a hammer.

I agree with the other comments. This is post-mint damage, not a mint error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6475 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Practice photo editing to reduce many to just one or two. As explained your dime is damaged, as you answered your own question about how the damage happened. Interesting find, post mint damage ( PMD), but not worth a premium.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new pictures do show how this could have happened, but it happened after the coin was minted. The area in question would look very different if this happened to be 2 coins in the striking chamber at the same time.

The raised line of metal over the tops of the letters OF A wouldn't be there if this was a mint error. The edge would be smooth and level with the indention, but the displaced metal is on top of the letters that were struck normally.

This is why we say it's not an error. The features show that this is just Post Mint Damage. PMD
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also note, how the folded over area, is showing the outline of the rim. That tells me it was in the correct location when struck, but afterwards if was moved to it new location. I agree, it just coin damage post strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
941 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice photos COOP, but if you know Jmc00eh tell has deficiencies in calcium and vitamin A and E
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 541Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05