Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Paper Money Indent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 343Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  1:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JayMay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! I have might be a bit of a silly question. I love collecting uncirculated banknotes from around the world. I have noticed that a lot of the paper notes in my collection contain this odd crease near the security strip. I have banknotes from multiple countries with this same exact indent. Does anybody know if theres a reason or name for this?
Learn More...
United States
102095 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59418 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone will hopefully have an idea.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it is referred to as a dimple. It is caused by the cutting blade when the sheets are cut. The security strip requires more force than the paper or polymer. They have been the subject of much discussion on the IBNS forum over the years. The consensus is that you can still call it UNC as it is "as made".
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JayMay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes and insight! I appreciate it!
Valued Member
Canada
423 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JayMay. Yes it is called a dimple and yes it is caused by the security strip embedded in the paper. The note is considered uncirculated but it will not get a UNC-65 or higher. This is because in the same print run there will be other notes which do not have the dimple.

Don't try to press it out that would only reduce the value of the note.

A few years ago I went through all of my Canadian UNC notes and deposited the notes with dimples back to the bank.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1356 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with "ShareBear' and I believe Canada's Charlton catalogue refers to them as 'cutting cups' since they're concave & circular from the edge (most notable around the security threads). Most our notes get them: & I even seen a few with extra paper left which extended out around the strips on some Journey $5.00
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11132 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question, JayMay, and welcome to CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 343Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05