Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 $5 Gold Piece - Please Give Opinions On Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 613Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  7:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2737 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you uploaded two pictures of the same side of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
743 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quit teasing us...we need to see the obverse...and maybe try a couple of versions with different lighting
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59386 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both sides, please.

to the CCF!
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry bout that. New to this. Stand by for the Obv.
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59386 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to say AU/MS details (scratched).
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had wondered if it should be sent to a TPG...or not
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59386 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say definitely not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1243 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I would send this off, unless I was sending a bunch of other things as well to a company like ICCS.

Grading these gold coins is tough, because lighting plays such a major role in how it looks. One angle the coin can look flawless, and another it can look like dog tried to chew it. I would ask you, does the picture accurately reflect how the coin looks in hand?

It's a key date coin, with relatively low mintage, it is probably worth an easy $800-1200 as pictured. But I can't quite tell if it is the normal bag marks that the lighting makes look funny or someone has tried to clean it.

Try putting up a few different angles of the obverse side.

And welcome to the Forum, lots of great people here
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure these are much better. In hand, the coin definitely looks much better than I'm capturing.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1243 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on new photos, look like normal bag marks, but not on wear. Someone smarter than me may be able to help on this. I'm at au55 or ms63
Canada
18 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Handi1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many rim dings at 6 o'clock tells me it has not led a sheltered life. Could still grade MS with comments - hard to be certain from the pics
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I'm a little confused by the pictures. Lol. The first ones they look heavily cleaned and fairly beat up. The newer pictures don't look cleaned. Wear is difficult to determine.

If it's not cleaned and there's no wear I'm going to guess MS62 for a grade. High degree of likelihood it will detail for all the rim dings at the very least. It's possible ICCS could straight grade it but they might also net the grade down into AU or even EF if they don't like what they see. I find they are getting a little harder to predict with that.

Anyways I would say it's at least 75% likely that it is worth roughly melt value and 25% it's a bit of a premium. MS62 shows a trends value of $1000 in CCN so might get as high as $800? Personally if it was mine I would just leave it raw and enjoy it for what it is. Quite possible any money spent on grading it would be thrown away.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 613Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05