Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed Hammered And Roman Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 757Next Topic
Page: of 2
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  9:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AL7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there to all those on the pathway of the hobby of kings. I was recently given these 2 coins by my uncle.They belonged to my grandfather.I got so confused when trying to match them to online examples that I gave up.
Please help me identify them.Appreciate any help.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3034 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure, but the first coin could be a King Edward II coin 1307-1327 It looks a lot like my coin Which is an Edward II:

EDIT: Look at the collar of the image - they appear to be the same
Edited by Dearborn
06/16/2021 08:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3034 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18111 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3555 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The Roman coin is an AE4 of Helena (mother of Constantine the Great), PAX PVBLICA reverse, Trier mint.
Tesorillo 58, and it looks like the cross-less version, which would make it Numista 17878. Neat coin!

I can't tell much about the other coin, though it's definitely English and it does look like it's of an Edward.
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AL7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the warm welcome Dearborn Dora's and january1may
Yes it certainly looks like your Edward Dearborn...not as detailed but its an heirloom to hold on too.My only hammered coin apart from an Al mahdi Dirham (father of Haroun ARasheed)
January1may...you have made my day.Much appreciated
Learn More...
Australia
13809 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your second coin is a "late Roman Bronze". Issued in the name of Helena, the mother of emperor Constantine the Great and later known as Saint Helena, and struck after her death.

Obverse: portrait of Helena, legend FL IVL HELENA AVG
Reverse: the goddess Pax standing, legend PAX PVBLICA
Mintmark: TRP (Treveri, now known as Trier, Germany).

Some varieties of this coin type have a small cross on the reverse. These are quite highly sought after, being one of the first appearances of the Christian cross on Roman coinage.

It should also be pointed out that this coin was copied extensively in the decades after the coin was officially released; these "barbarous" imitations can look almost as good as the real thing. This coin may be too corroded to be able to tell for sure whether it is "official" or "barbarous".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
Australia
13809 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ninja'd. That'll teach me to get distracted by work for an hour.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
Learn More...
United States
23596 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community
Valued Member
United Kingdom
72 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Edward might be Group 10, which would be 1305-1310, but possibly 10cf4, which is 1309 (Edward II). Pennies of Edwards I-III are all incredibly similar. But yours has the king's name as EDWA, which means it's Group 10 or 11 (Edward I or II).

https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwar...ies%20P1.htm
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AL7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Sap.I confirmed from my uncle that both were detector finds in Kent near Rochester in the 1970s.
You have given me lot's to get on with. Much appreciated #128591;
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AL7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JohnConduitt I didn't think it was as early as that.As I have mentioned they were both detector finds from a friend of my grandfather.These two were gifts and I was lucky enough to receive them from my uncle.Thanks to you and other members here ...it has made my quest for information simple.The only time I was able to help someone was years ago on the website coinquest...Im sure you all know it.During my days in Saudi Arabia I was lucky enough to get hold of silver Saudi Riyals for very little.They used to sell them in money changers.Years later I found out that they were from a batch of 1 million salvaged silver riyals from a ship that was sunk by a German U Boat of the coast of Oman in 1944.King Abdul Aziz had made a deal with the USA to have 3 million silver riyals minted to pay the oil workers as they didn't really have a currency of their own.They were using MTTs silver dollars rupees you name it.
The guys at coinquest gave me a mention for pointing out that that there were some other years of the silver riyals not mentioned....simply because I had some.
I could tell you another story about salvaged silver pesos n from the phillipnes but I will leave that for another post
Pillar of the Community
United States
3034 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad we could help you out. Just to give you an idea of how similar the Edward I and II coins can be, have a look at my 2 coins. The one on the Left is a Edward I, the one on the right is Edward II. I do think I took at pictures of the reverse of both coin upside down accidently...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4230 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Edward pennies are a near nightmare to attribute. The cartoon like portraits are of limited value. There is a website which explains it all very well, which I mentioned in a post a few years ago and naturally I have forgotten what it is. It took extensive archaeology to figure out which designs were made in which years and in which mints. So up to relatively recently nobody was sure which Edward belonged to which coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Edward is a tough call but I would say class 10cf1 based on the EDWA R legend and details of the crown & lettering per North.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 757Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05