Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 Kennedy Half Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 538Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  05:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this considered an off center strike, or a broad strike?

Learn More...
United States
19960 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@smack, since the rev is well-centered, this looks like a slightly mis-aligned die on the obv. Also, can you please show us a couple pics of the edge? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39971 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the glossary,left side of page and here http://www.error-ref.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first glance, appears to be a misaligned die matter. Awaiting edge images.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this what you were wanting?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3068 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a slight MAD (Misaligned Die) strike and it's showing Collar Clash as evident with the reeding visible in the rim across the lower half of the obverse.

I would put it in a 2X2 and add it to my collection, if it were mine.

You may want to buy some cotton inspection gloves and avoid touching any part of your coins except the edges. Fingerprints can really hurt the value of collectable coins. Once a fingerprint starts to show on the surface of a coin there's no reversing the damage.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you @Yokozuna for the info and the tip,I was unaware... Question tho, do they need to be cotton gloves? I'm asking because I have tons of nitrile gloves that I use for my work and so I didn't know if those would be acceptable or if they need to be cotton?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59171 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As MADs go on half dollars, this is is a nice example.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52249 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a collar clash on the obverse die:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39971 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice MAD and 2x2 worthy. Make sure to dip it in 100% pure acetone before 2x2ing it.
John1
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey John1, thank you for the tip, although what is the point to the acetone dipping first? One other question, because the coin itself is in great condition, should I send it to be graded? Thank you in advance!
Learn More...
United States
19960 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
should I send it to be graded?

Others will weigh in too, but my thought is that this coin isn't worth it: yes to a 2x2, but no to a slab.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nitrile gloves without Latex will be the best to handle your coins with no doubt.

for me it is a keeper. I will not certify but keep.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  02:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39971 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason to dip it first is to remove any oils from your fingers or others that may have gotten on the coin.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
4027 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, misaligned die. If it were mine I'd give it an acetone bath. Not sure what the value of these are, but a nice find.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 538Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05