Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 Steel Wheat Penny Need Help With Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 392Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  07:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam C Vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm studying coin grading I just started with In the hour I have my 1943 steel Wheat penny I'm trying to grade it still has good high points the wheat stocks are quite visible and Lincoln's jawl and cheek bone are pronounced so is his hair lines..... I don't thank it's MS it has been circulated but not for very long it has no rust spots its Zink coating is still all there my best guess as of right now is around AU-50ish to XF-45...... I made my own coin sleeve so a pick was a little hard with lighting angels but I did my best..... What do y'all thank it's grade is

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40106 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1st,make sure to flatten those staples.2nd,always remove coins from 2x2 holder before taking photos.3rd,research here https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/ 4th,a few too many photos.4 pics per post to start with,full coin obverse full coin reverse and one or two close ups where and when needed.If we need more pics we will ask for them.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam C Vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used PCGS as a coin grading reference that's where I got the idea of XF-45 to AU-50 if need be I can remove the coin from it's sleeve and take the proper pictures so it's better seen just ask and I shall do so if y'all can grade it with what you see that's also great.... I appreciate the tips John1 thanks I shall use these tips when I'm posting my next coin to be graded
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5645 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going VF40 it may be higher outside of the 2x2.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4782 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While awaiting new images, I'll go with XF40.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59393 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Third pic shows virtually full ear and hair definition, so I'll say AU-55 sharpness.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam C Vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 1943 Lincoln Wheat penny out of it's home made 2x2

Pillar of the Community
United States
1915 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a 40.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4782 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New photos move me to XF45. Nice hole filler until something better comes along.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10344 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think it makes XF45 also
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15596 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice obverse , I'll say 45+ .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40106 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not great at grading, that said 40-45 but lacks eye appeal.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17064 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1943's wear differently from normal copper wheat cents. This coin is highly worn as evident in the rims and fields.

VF-30 (nearly 25)
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5645 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go to XF45
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59393 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holding firm at AU-55.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22453 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Frog, AU-55 for me also.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 392Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05