Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Second Opinion Please On TPG - $10 1913

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 492Next Topic  
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  9:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59280 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my field, but I'll say MS-62.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1767 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU -MS-60
Pillar of the Community
Canada
615 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS for sure but probably 63 max due to the bag marks on the obverse. One of those situations where the reverse might be 65 but the obverse is closer to 60.
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my field. :)

Should have come back MS62 or MS63 depending on a few factors that can't be deduced from those pictures. Definitely shouldn't be more than MS63 based on the amount of chatter in the fields. Based on severity I'd guess it's more likely it came back MS62. By severity I mean how deep the hits are. We know there are a lot of them - you can have that many in a 63, but they can't be deep. Those look deep to me.

Hard to judge the lustre and toning from the pictures but those could be a factor in the grade as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1243 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't be surprised at MS63, lighting and angle is so important on these, you could probably make it look EF or MS65 by playing around with it. A pretty standard grade for that coin, I don't now if I would purchase it at current gold prices. There are lots around and would not be surprised if gold came back down in the not too distant future.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9797 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS62 is what I will guesstimate.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Canada
742 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that from the Gold Reserve? IT looks like an easy MS63 as the surface contact in the fields look minor even though there are plenty of them. Scroll thru the PCGS Set REgitry for pictures.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm far from an expert in grading, but have had a lot of TPG gold coins pass through my collection over the years. I'd lean towards MS63 on this one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8468 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to hearing from the OP on what it was actually graded. I agree it could easily come up 62 or 63 but I'm still leaning towards 62. I tend to grade pretty hard though. Lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
4049 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62 is my guess. Presumably from the recent bank hoard dispersal.
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what PCGS gave this coin...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1411 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does any TPG know for sure the coin is from the "famous" gold reserve?
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were submitted in the original BoC sealed capsules to get that designation. You can cross-grade from NGC to PCGS and get the same designation as long as NGC noted it as bank of Canada hoard on the holder. I know because I've done it. Lol.

And that is an incredibly generous grade. Maybe it looks way better in person. Superior lustre and nice toning will sometimes carry it up into a higher grade but that seems like a really tough looking 64 to me. I have a 1914 $10 64+ that I feel the grade is a bit of a stretch as well.

Nice result for you for sure. My 1913 $10 MS64 definitely looks nicer than that!
Edited by Levaril
06/17/2021 09:32 am
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Example of original capsules with gold and silver seals. Gold is premium hand selected and silver is hand selected.

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05