Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875 Type 1 Trade Dollar, S Mintmark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 526Next Topic  
Australia
19 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  12:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add totty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Folks,
Recently came across a few old coins my grandfather collected. Among them was this 1875 type 1 Trade dollar. Along with a 1921 morgan and 1925 peace. I don't have any experience with US coinage, but looking it up it is pretty valuable, so naturally this alerts my suspicions. To my untrained eye it looks genuine. Not magnetic, 27 grams. I'd say it's about VF-25, but again I'm very inexperienced with grading. Would appreciate your expert opinions on whether she's authentic and a possible grade.
Note: The reddish tinge to the image is due to it reflecting my red phone case!
Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4061 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a cast fake to me. A bad one at that.
Edited by jimbucks
06/17/2021 03:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59386 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll leave this to the experts.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see better photos that provide more details. The coin has a type 1 obverse and type 1 reverse. The only thing that I see that would give me concern of not being genuine are the reverse denticles above AMERICA, but it could be the photos. The coin has a large scratch on obverse that would detail the coin.
Australia
19 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add totty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the responses! Here are some closer up images, albeit in different lighting- hope that's ok!
The suspect denticles:

I saw the denticles opposite these are also a little off:

and the scratch:

lettering:

stars:

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't an obvious fake like many are. I am Kinda up in the air on this one. I'm about 85% convinced it is real with just few doubts.

I have to admit though that the more I look at the dentils the less I like it.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
06/17/2021 10:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1847 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 5 does not look correct to me. Many letters are odd - bottoms of OF for example. Not an expert, just comparing images of real ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine Example

Op Example

The bottom part of the eight to totally wrong, and the top and bottom loop of the 5 is off as noted by Kbbpll. The denticles are off and the stars are off. The coin appears to be a counterfeit.
Edited by Slider23
06/17/2021 5:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4061 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And who is GCD and why should we trust him? Case closed.
Edited by jimbucks
06/17/2021 6:01 pm
Australia
19 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add totty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the responses! It seems obvious now. Well, at the end of the day it's still silver so not entirely worthless at least!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4061 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's still silver
Hopefully. A lot of fakes are made from pot metal.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You didn't give us a weight on this coin. I would suggest doing a specific gravity test to determine if it is silver or not. I had one of these in my collection that I tested and the SG showed that the composition was more consistent with copper core and silver plated. Sure enough I filed the edge to reveal the copper core.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05