Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Bronze Coin Celebrating Octavian & Antonys Victory Over Brutus & Cass

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 292Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
59 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys

My latest purchased has arrived which I love.

The Pantia is gorgeous and if its correct I really like the history behind this specific coin.

Namely it was issued by Octavian Augustus and Mark Antony after the defeat of Julius Ceasars Killers Brutus and Cassius.

Cheers Jay

Learn More...
Australia
13814 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid you have it mis-identified, or at least mis-described.

The coin is a Roman Provincial, from the Roman colony of Philippi in what is now north-east Greece. They were struck sometime in the reign of Claudius and/or Nero (AD 41-68); it is described in the catalogues as "pseudo-autonomous", as it does not depict or name the emperor, though as a loyal Roman colony stacked with citizens mostly imported from Rome and Italy, Philippi was never truly "autonomous". The reverse depicts three standards and the legend COHOR PRAE PHIL (Praetorian Guard, Philippi). Philippi was rebuilt and re-founded as a settlement for retired military veterans, including the Praetorian Guard, the Imperial bodyguard unit.

On the reverse is Victory flying, with the inscription VIC AVG (Victory of the Emperor). This is indeed most likely to be a historical reference to Octavian's victory at the nearby Battle of Philippi. Of course, when Octavian won the Battle of Philippi in 42 BC, he wasn't AVG (Augustus, or emperor) yet.

Although your coin isn't quite what you hoped for, it is nevertheless a popular and sought after coin type. It was issued at roughly the same time as St Paul visited the city (circa AD 50), as recorded in the Book of Acts, and thus readily qualifies as a "biblical coin".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
59 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sap thanks for all the information you provided that's really interesting. I love the history surrounding the coins so really enjoyed reading that.

I had been doing a bit more research and found similar information to what you said above although not in as much detail as you provided.

It does seem the info on this coin differs on different websites.

Some date it to not long after the battle of Phillipi in Octavians time and other sites attribute it to be produced in Cladius / Neros era as you said.

So is it the fact it says victory of the emperor prior to Octavian actually been Augustus / Emperor shows it was minted later?

Many thanks for your help.

Jay

Learn More...
Australia
13814 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So is it the fact it says victory of the emperor prior to Octavian actually been Augustus / Emperor shows it was minted later?

Yes. Octavian was "Imperator" (IMP) from 38 BC, but was not granted the title "Augustus" by the Roman Senate until 27 BC. The title did not exist prior to that date. Any coin using "AVG" must date from after 27 BC.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 292Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05