Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 P Dime With Gold Toned Reverse Planchet Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 311Next Topic  
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ohana to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorry photos don't do it justice. But reverse is all evenly light gold toned in inner planchet area. The reverse rim is still silver colored. Obverse is normal dime. Any info & comments is appreciated. Thank you!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59484 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just environmental toning of unknown origin. Didn't leave the mint this way.

to the CCF!
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ohana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I'm still not understanding the "toning". If it were natural occurrence wouldn't it be randomly coloring? Not just perfectly on the inner planchet? How does it not color or tone the rim at all? It is perfectly yellow toned on back but not on rim. Sorry still learning and curious.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning does as it pleases.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6520 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could have toned a gold colour, but then with wear, the toned surface wore off.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a little suspicious with this coin. the toning start with yellow or yellowish color. Then is purple-red then green then can go at black or dark brown in function of the metal. For all audience, the toning will develop on high parts of the coin the last. Ex.: Between the year numbers will be toning but not the upper of the numbers.

This coin have two major point to examine closer:

1. The head is red-brown (by the cameras), but no yellow near
2. The flame has red and it is in high raise part but not near.
3. The rim has red without yellow.
4. It is not current to see a toning coin on both sides. Das the both sides was exposed to the environments in the same time? Hard to believe.

I will not pronounce for the legitims but must be answer first my 4 points and closer look (in hand is better).
Edited by silviosi
06/17/2021 8:03 pm
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ohana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry it's hard for me to take photo of gold tone with the light glare. There is no purple or other colors. Perfectly normal good looking silver dime on front. Back is perfect light gold tone ( no other colors) only on the planchet inside of rim. Then there is definite line separation to the rim which is silver. I'll try to load better photos. And thank you all for your input & time.

Learn More...
United States
20095 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your pics are fine @oha--it is just toning (not a mint error).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With your new photos (hard to have good ones) it is clear like Spence say a toning coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4817 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's toning--caused by exposure to an environmental agent or two. Coins can take on a wide range of toning. Check this topic for many, many examples:
http://goccf.com/t/53247
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52433 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sulfur in the air can turn the colors yellow on the silver colored coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05