Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 Cent Off Center Strike NGC MS-66 RD 35% Oc(?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 248Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3078 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:01 pm Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think that NGC under estimated the amount that this coin was off center, or they just hit the wrong number for the first digit.

What do the members of CCF think about it? Is it more than 35% off center? I would put it at 50% at the least.

Click the picture for a larger image
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, it looks more off center on the Obverse than it does on the reverse. so maybe it is a misaligned die AND off-center strike.

As for percentage - I don't do math well, so I can't say for certain. BUT that said. 50% on obverse and 35% on reverse...
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36, My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarter Albums coin count: 423/423
My Dansco 8113,8114 Jefferson nickel Albums coin count: not sure yet
Edited by Dearborn
06/17/2021 10:23 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59259 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd, isn't it. I can see 35% on the reverse, but surely closer to 50% on the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3078 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, wow! I didn't notice that!! It really does look like a MAD-OC. I'll have to search through my other off center strikes to see if any are like this.

The coin has a slight angle or dish to the strike area vs the blank area, so it likely that the obverse was the hammer die. That would make sense to me that the obverse die had a good deal of movement in relation to the anvil die reverse.

I like learning new stuff about errors!
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the table off-center, yes one side could be 35% the other if the off-center it is at 8.53 mm will be 55% and at 9.37 it is 60%. the half of the coin on 1/2D it is 63.5%
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 248Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05