Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Raw 1882 S Morgan For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 391Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  12:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How would you grade this coin? I give it a MS63+, possibly a 64 as explained below but I'm here to learn and I'm looking for your assessment of the coin and a critique of the grade I assigned if you'd like to give one.

Obverse
Looks to be very well struck. Devices are still well defined with the date and motto being clearly legible. Liberty's hair, cap, legend, leaves and blossoms showing virtually no signs of wear. Her cheeks look to be the problem area. A vertical gouge just behind the eye near the hairline and various lighter marks spreading downward. There's also a gouge in the lower neck at the front. Light marks in the left and right fields just as are seen on the reverse. Not sure what they are but they are minimal.

Reverse
No sign of damage or wear to any of the devices. Fully convex feathers on the breast. The wing and neck feathers are also full with little to no sign of wear. There are minor bag marks? to the left and right of the wreath on each side of the eagle and what looks like a light horizontal scratch on upper portion of the eagle's left outer wing feathers but not sure. Under the loupe it appears undamaged and part of the normal contour of feathers.

Edited by Sidekick-CA
06/18/2021 8:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its ANACS MS-63 PCGS/NGC MS-63+
Pillar of the Community
United States
969 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  01:12 am  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great luster, but I think there are too many blemishes across the obverse to get more than a 62.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Pillar of the Community
United States
3251 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say a solid MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
597 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse 64. Obverse 63. I think it would grade MS63 to be honest.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59474 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-63 as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what's going on with this area directly below the eagles neck feathers?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10361 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i like your detailed assessment. surface preservation is only one component of grading. you need to also consider, strike, luster & eye appeal for an overall grade.

the 82(S) are normally sharp and bold. this one is nicely struck so no deductions and additions for strike. luster is broken here and there on both sides. there is a small amount of discoloration on the reverse which affects eye appeal slightly. all of these, along with surface and fields marks/scratches/scuffs will keep it out of MS64 or higher territory. the obverse surface preservation is better than an MS62 coin would grade so that leaves one box for this one. MS63. is it a 63+? I think the obverse is a little too marked up to push it up a notch.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with MS-63. It's pretty much spot on for the grade.
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
panzaldi

Quote:
the 82(S) are normally sharp and bold. this one is nicely struck so no deductions and additions for strike. luster is broken here and there on both sides. there is a small amount of discoloration on the reverse which affects eye appeal slightly. all of these, along with surface and fields marks/scratches/scuffs will keep it out of MS64 or higher territory. the obverse surface preservation is better than an MS62 coin would grade so that leaves one box for this one. MS63. is it a 63+? I think the obverse is a little too marked up to push it up a notch.

Panzaldi thanks for your assessment and especially your explanations. I hadn't noticed the slight discoloration on the reverse but it is there. I had considered the strike and on that I think we agree. As for the luster, there don't seem to be any breaks while held in hand either side so blame it on my photos. And guess I was paying too little attention to the various marks/scratches/scuffs. Didn't think they were that much of a distraction. I'll look with a more critical eye from now on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4813 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a doink at the base of the eagle's neck--as ID'ed by KauaiHawaiiGuy?
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
KauaiHawaiiGuy A little better look at the area you mentioned just below the neck feathers. Not sure just what that is. Anomoly, die problem? More probably just some PMD. Ideas? Thanks for your feed back. Sharp eye.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10361 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for the luster, there don't seem to be any breaks

luster is difficult when grading using a single photo. some folks are now posting vids and rotating the coin on it which helps immensely
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22498 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-63 to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05