Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 P James Madison Dollar - Interesting Finish

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 318Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All.
Not sure if this is an error but I am enjoying the look of the finish. Hard to get good pictures and I hope this is not overkill.

The face of James Madison on the obverse and the field and some feature on the Statue of Liberty on the reverse ... reminds me of carnival glass.

Any comments / opinions greatly appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40062 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would call it circulation toning with maybe a finger print on the forehead.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4748 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circulation toning, yes. Looks cool.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John1! LOL on fingerprint :)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks inj1944 it looks way better in person :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7282 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup...circulation tarnish (oops...not a marketable term) "toning."

The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
06/18/2021 5:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
936 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning? On upper head seem to develop some toning (The photos' do not help to much). The rest it is a normal circulated coin.

I know many look at any change of color in toning; but in fact: a coin change the color due to circulation with no link of really toning.

Better photos could say more.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your thoughts. Silviosi, it is hard to get good pictures because like carnival glass it appears to change colors when the light shifts. I did some research on how they make carnival glass and it is quite interesting. Apparently, they spray the base glass with compounded mineral salts. Each mineral when oxidized produces a different color. The minerals in the coin are in layers but they seem to all exposed to the surface and have become 'oxidized' thus showing the colors. (At least that is how I read it). Perhaps someone else could explain it better...

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-chemi...glass-602252

Here is the color chart below.
Glass Pigments
Compounds Colors
iron oxides greens, browns
manganese oxides deep amber, amethyst, decolorizer
cobalt oxide deep blue
gold chloride ruby red
selenium compounds reds
carbon oxides amber/brown
a mix of manganese, cobalt, iron black
antimony oxides white
uranium oxides yellow-green (glows!)
sulfur compounds amber/brown
copper compounds light blue, red
tin compounds white
lead with antimony yellow

Many special effects can be applied to glass to affect its color and overall appearance. Iridescent glass, sometimes called iris glass, is made by adding metallic compounds to the glass or by spraying the surface with stannous chloride or lead chloride and reheating it in a reducing atmosphere. Ancient glasses appear iridescent from the reflection of light off of many layers of weathering.

Dichroic glass is an iridescent effect in which the glass appears to be different colors, depending on the angle from which it is viewed. This effect is caused by applying very thin layers of colloidal metals (e.g., gold or silver) to the glass. The thin layers are usually coated with clear glass to protect them from wear or oxidation.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
936 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cons, please I am allergic to photos. I spend more the 700 Us and never reach the correct one.

I know it is hard and here on the forum we base more on what we see, In hand it is different, but for now we go like this and we try to help as much it is possible.

Maybe if you describe what you see combinate with the best of your photo will be better. My opinion, and if you are not pro in photo do not make my mistake.
Edited by silviosi
06/19/2021 7:52 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am poorly equipped for photos. Too bad I can't post a video. I was hoping people would be familiar with carnival glass since that best describes what I am seeing.

It is kinda like an oil slick sheen on water.

Thanks for your thoughts silviosi :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
936 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not panic for this. Your coin has some points who develop toning. Look at the head. the other side no toning signs.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate all your help silviosi. Toning seems to make the coin more interesting to look at, not sure how desirable it is to collectors but I like it!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
936 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point this. You has around toning collectors. The best place to show is on shows, and most is ANA. Me I just analyze those coins not collect, will be to much for me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05