Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1907 Indian Head Penny - Please Comment & Grade - Thank You!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 366Next Topic  
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  4:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ohana to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks off like a light wipe. I'd say ef45 to au-50 due to contact marks scattered around.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59474 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, EF/AU sharpness but a details coin (pocked).

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7286 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice details, too bad about the marks. EF details.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ohana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much! Sorry for stupid question, but I've seen word used a few times, " details" what exactly does this mean "details" coin. Thank you in advance anyone who explains. I appreciate it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59474 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The term "details" is a catch-all phrase for "problems" on a coin - which might range from physical damage to environmental damage to cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

I agree with EF Details. It's a tossup whether the details code would be for cleaning or for the surface damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15614 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A details coin is usually a fairly damaged or cleaned coin. Yours is damaged . The EF-45 grade is what the coin is graded at without the damage .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ohana,

I always thought the "Details" word was a strange one to use in describing a problem coin. I suppose the third party graders didn't want to use the word "problem" or "issues" and just called it details.

Most commonly seen on TPG (third Party Graders) holders from ANACS, PCGS, NGC, SEGS, ICS, the top only good coin grading companies in the US coin market, though PCGS and NGC are definitely the top of the bunch followed by ANACS. the rest not so regarded any longer, though still often used by many collectors, the ICG and SEGS holdered coins just don't bring the market prices nor have the cache of the other companies.

Since you are new and may not have seen many of these previously here are a few I pulled out of my collection files, hope they help explain better:

ANACS Old small holder

ANACS Newer current holder

PCGS slightly older holder showing not details but genuine and #84 for the reason (see below). PCGS will also use Details on the labels depending on the situation called for.

PCGS Current holder Details & Genuine together!

NGC Current holder

Also see this very informative guide from PCGS on their holdered coins. https://www.PCGS.com/grades
Be sure to click on the Designations and the No Grades links in Blue to see much more, the No Grades has a whole subset of numbers that are on the holder and relate to the issue a particular holdered coin may have.

I noticed my Genuine #84 is no longer listed on PCGS list of issues, here is the older list and Code #'s

No Grade Description
82 Filed Rims
83 Peeling Lamination
84 Holed and Plugged
90 Not Genuine
91 Questionable Color
92 Cleaning
93 Planchet Flaw
94 Altered Surfaces
95 Scratch / Rim Dent
97 Environmental Damage
98 Damage
99 PVC Residue

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/18/2021 9:33 pm
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ohana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THANK YOU ! Very awesome of you all to take so much time & effort & patience to help & explain & repeat things over and over for us noobs... & It's truly appreciated, and encourages people like me to continue loving and learning the art of numismatics. Thank you #129303;
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  02:57 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ohana,

No problem, remember there are no stupid questions, if you don't understand something ask. Sure there are always the cranky old curmudgeons, but most of us are pretty helpful if we can be. That is the whole reason I joined up here at CCF and not one of the other forums. People here care about others and are like a big family, of course like all families we have our crazy uncles and nutty cousins too. But mostly we all get along pretty well.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10361 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just to add to the comments above. a details coin can see the value of the coin reduced anywhere between 20% and 80% depending on the issue and amount of damage. if the coin is a common coin and depending on how bad it is, it may not have any collector value whatsoever other than melt for something like silver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22498 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 details, face nics and older cleaning.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 366Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05