Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Strange 1940 Nickel PMD? Those Are Definitely Cracks Ost Looks Puzzled

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,169Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
39 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jwazz212121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10894 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try soaking it in acetone for 24 hrs.
It may be varnish that has dried and cracked with age.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post photos after clean with acetone. Very good suggestion. After I will give my opinion.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pine Creek Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. Never seen that before.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jwazz212121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though I'm not supposed to wash the coin I should still try acetone? I just seen that stuff at meijer yesterday
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jwazz212121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll get some in the A.M and let it soak no rubbing.
Thanks guys I hope its something cool
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10894 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is safe for coins. A lot of times I will soak an older raw coin that I have just received to get
rid of any oil or residue that may have built up on the surface.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6519 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with JimmyD, looks like some sort of coating that has cracked with age. At this point, it's just post mint damage ( PMD).
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59477 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this might be an old failed lacquer coating. Acetone could help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15614 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or it can be an unthinkable ; shattered planchette due to improper metal composition .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try to clean the coin like I suggest before. If it is the unthinkable coin like T-BOP say normally will be parts apart.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's been through a fire.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent point Cujohn.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chemical damage. Alan Herbert called these "sewer coins".
Error coin writer and researcher.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jwazz212121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
48 hours soaked in acetone. Not too much of a difference but I can see it had the D mint mark now. I noticed you can see the cracks on the rim of the coin as well.
It does look like its been in a sewer so maybe its just PMD

Thanks for your feedback back gentlemen
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jwazz212121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cracks are definitely on the coin itself under the coating, just trying to think what would cause a coin to crack and split apart like lightning everywhere. Man does it look cool in person
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,169Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05