Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1902-O Barber Dime To Be Graded Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 482Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
873 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this at a LCS a month or so ago. Please give it a grade. I love the colors on this but I'm wondering if that scratch is so minor it straight grades or if it's a details coin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59348 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toughie. I'll say EF-40 by a nose, but scratches under the eye (pic 1) and across the neck (pic 2) will probably detail it.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/18/2021 8:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with coinfrogs details assesment, I think the grade might go EF40 just due to the eye appeal and reverse strength, but it's really close to a VF35.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1845 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with EF Details, too bad about the scratches but still a nice looking coin. Is there PVC damage on the obverse? Funny how lots of these O dimes from the era have odd stuff going on with the rims - reverse lower right on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
873 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kbbpll I went to this LCS because a few friends of mine told me the dealer was upstanding. I bought this coin and an 1899-o and a circulated 1896 proof both Barber dimes. I was told he popped all the coins from an old album; however, he couldn't promise me that this 1902-o would straight grade....but they all now reside in my Dansco album. The 1899-o has a bit of color too, but nothing like this. I'll probably post a "grade this coin please" in the next following days since I'm out of town. I just became an uncle.......hopefully the fun uncle.....and since I'm the only uncle...my vote is "the fun uncle."
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
06/19/2021 12:24 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10335 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
congrats on the new addition to your family tree. I have to put in the XF details box as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15576 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 , But It's borderline on Details or straight . I think it can go either way .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at EF-40 Details, Scratched, due to the hits mentioned earlier, but I do find the toning to be pleasing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3230 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say a solid XF-45, and the reverse actually looks low AU, but likely details from the scratch below the eye.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely see the eye appeal, regardless of the scratches. The reverse is definitely nice.

I'm on the VF-35/EF-40 fence. This may be one that a TPG straight grades as VF but details if it crosses the EF line. I see it as a bourse floor haggler, where it likely would be called EF but priced between VF and EF to compensate for the scratches. I don't find the scratches distracting. Nice coin.

Congrats on becoming an uncle! It's a great gig. My wife and I sure enjoy spoiling our niece and nephews. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22428 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will probably straight grade EF-40.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning is really, really nice!
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scratch or not, beautiful toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59348 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you thinking of sending it in?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1777 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ef40 details. Nice toning.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05