Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1811 Large Cent Condition

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 815Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
193 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  6:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to see what y'all think of this he wants $100. Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59331 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say G details (heavy corrosion).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you think it's ok for $100
Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't pay $100 for it. The coin has poor eye appeal due the heavy corrosion that Coinfrog mentioned. Coins like this are highly susceptible to buyer's remorse. Once it has been in one's collection for a while, one likely would ask; "why did I buy this unsightly thing"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3070 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been watching you put together your old copper set with a lot of detail coins. For the most part you have been frugal on your buys and made some good purchases. Detail coins are harder to sell and often you will need to discount the coin to get it sold. Before you get to deep into your set, you may want to consider selling off and upgrading some the place holder coins. Selling some of your collection really provides strong feedback on your buying skills.

On the OP coin the $100 is a fair price, but not a coin most collectors would want in their collection.
Edited by Slider23
06/20/2021 10:35 am
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty deep into my set only need 3 more. I'm on a budget and I buy what I can afford and what I like, I know corroded problem coins are not the best but almost all of these have problems and unless you want to pay a boatload of money for some of them this is the way I go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1844 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Judging by past sales on Heritage, $100 isn't a bad price. Your corrosion might be a bit worse than some I looked at though. Here's a VG8 Details $99 sold 9/1/2020. https://coins.ha.com/itm/large-cent...bnail-071515, and a FR02 $132 10/6/2020 https://coins.ha.com/itm/large-cent...bnail-071515 that I don't think should have straight graded. Somebody might have been cherry-picking though; I don't know enough about these to tell. I'm a bit of a "just to have one" collector myself. I figure if I had to sell, somebody else out there just wants one too, and I got the enjoyment value out of it even if I had to lose a few bucks.

Edited by kbbpll
06/20/2021 3:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm putting a custom set together from 1794-1857 no 1793, 1799, or 1804, they are little bit to expensive for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that $100 isn't a bad price for this 1811. On the plus-side, the detail is full on both sides. I don't see much of a downside at that price. Budget-minded collectors really can't afford to be too picky about condition; this, as is the same for us counterstamp collectors ....

Quote:
I'm putting a custom set together from 1794-1857 no 1793, 1799, or 1804, they are little bit to expensive for me.

If you use an album, Matthew, cheap copies of the costly dates can be purchased to fill those unsightly holes. I can hear the groans as I suggest this, but I'd sooner see a copy an a hole.
Edited by ExoGuy
06/20/2021 5:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me too.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect to the Library of Coins albums 1961 edition, of the part 1 1793-1820 I have 16 of 64, part 2 1821-1857 I have 49 of 64, the high dollar ones are red headed step children. I love them just the same, that 1811 would be welcome at my house.
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no holes because I use 2*2 flip binder pages in a binder, I have my graded coins in a sports card binder page on the first page, they have a few holes because of the graded coins but the rest of it is full other than the ones I'm missing.
Learn More...
United States
16394 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  12:21 am  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Heads are tough to find with no major issues, and when you do find a nicer problem free one, get ready to shell out some cash.

I am also a LC collector. I have yet to get the 1804. Had a 1799/8 awhile back and sold it.
I do have a 1793 Chain Cent S4 though.

I would pass on this particular coin. Not worth the money and as mentioned, eye appeal is not there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But for "It's not worth the money," I concur with Vermontensium. To an avid LC collector, myself included, that's probably true. But for a collector on a budget who wants full details, the subject coin is, I believe, worth on or about a hundred bucks. Again, I don't see much of a downside.

Here's a comparable 1811 with but two days to go on eBay. It's presently at $77, plus shipping and tax. Let's see what it realizes ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194204933660
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one ended up selling for $151 I had a max bid of $150 I'm glad they outbid me. Lol
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 815Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05