Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was It That You Learned Late In The Coin Collecting Game.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,055Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I learned that I bought far too many so-so to nice coins before I realized I should have bought far fewer and should have bought more rare and high grade coins that had better potential.

This reminds me....still something I have to remind myself to do, when I'm not focused on building a set..... key dates, semi key, and primarily focusing on the word "potential", sleeper dates! Of course it's always nice to acquire a high grade common date, but keys, semi-key and sleepers will generally maintain value and be much more liquid (if the time ever comes to sell).
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your responses have been excellent and I am truly grateful... I feel much more on track with what you all have said... Thank you all! I had seen the approach to be kinda vague and didnt know how vague it was. Looking at all coins and liking just about all the coins... Huge boost in clarity on the approach. I know some folks coin collect and have great words to use for just about every coin year and example condition etc. But this is a clearer perspective on what coin collecting is about for each collector in general, or so I'm thinking. Thanks again.
Edited by youngmaster
06/23/2021 05:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15614 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quality over quantity.

Yes I agree , My biggest regret ; Also finding out late in the years that coin collecting is a very expensive hobby unless you took the CRH route .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have learned that coin collecting is better shared. I'm old now and and have seen the internet grow to what it is. Internet is great but don't forget the shows and meeting people that can impart their knowledge.
Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) Don't crack out valuable 19th century US coins. Their value will plummet.
2) Inspect every coin you receive by mail carefully. If you see any defects you don't like: return.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyingTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't buy a lower grade coin your not happy with.Then you don't have to try and sell it later losing money after you got the nice example your happy with and proud to own.
Sometimes that's hard to do on impulse buys.So slow down filling your books and have patience.Nicer coins will be for sale next month it seems.
Well that's what I learned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm primarily a coin collector, But I wish I would have taken the time earlier to learn how to grade paper money. I missed some great opportunities. Also don't be afraid to look at other exonumia.
Edited by suipakpaikungfu
06/27/2021 7:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Billie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't expect most US mint products to appreciate in value when selling..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful how you store your coins. There are still cheap albums with PVC being sold that appeal to young/new collectors that will destroy your coins if kept in them longer term.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally, the older the coin, the rarer it probably is. Of course, there are some modern coins that are purposely made to be rare with mintages ranging from 100-3,000 (and inflated prices). Collect what you find interesting and enjoy! I used to really be into modern commemoratives. The older I got, the more I became fascinated with older, more rare coins with interesting historical backstories. I guess you can say my tastes have changed.

There is a world of coins out there and different avenues to go down. You'll learn a lot along the way. Use all the resources the free world wide web provides, from population reports to survival estimates. Follow your passion, and you'll find a world of knowledge and history at your finger tips!
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy the best you can, don't settle for a lower quality if your not happy with it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,055Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05