Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 Quarter Wrong Planchet?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 507Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this one's going to be difficult I need advice on where to go from here. So let's start at the beginning.... weighing quarters out 67 hits the pile sounds different, weighed a little light nothing to severe I thought, continued on about checking Get a 1981 weighs less hits the pile sounds like every other quarter. Start dropping the coins on one another to check the pitch when they hit the 1967 doesn't sound like a clad quarter when it hits the pile I'máso confused!

For the reverse photo 1981 on left 1967 on right
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These are not gold that they weigh each coin to make sure it is accurate. They have a tolerance amount assigned to them.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See that I'mácool with. The problem being here why doesn't the 67 sound like a clad quarter when it gets dropped the 1981 it to show I understand the weight tolerance however one sounds like a quarter when it falls the other sounds like something else that's why I'máconfused
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If both weigh about the same I'd think they would sound the same when they fall not one having a different sound guess trying to say weight prob isn't what's making this quarter different but the composition of the metal
Edited by Decaf94drew
06/20/2021 5:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 67 sounds like a different coin is being dropped not a quarter
Pillar of the Community
United States
2301 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does the edge of the '67 look like?
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collar or rim? Both are normal the reading on the collar Is typical for a 67 worn down but still barely visible.
Edited by Decaf94drew
06/20/2021 6:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I just suck it up and send it off to be looked at by someone it's not something to be seen however it's so noticeable from the sound alone I would never forgive myself if I tossed it back into circulation
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so I don't think anyone understands what I mean when you drop the coin it sounds like silver or a different type of metal is there anyway I can personally check that
Pillar of the Community
United States
4776 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you send it in for attribution, please let us know what the result is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You see the copper clad layer in your photo. If it has the brown/red on the edge it is definitely a copper nickel clad. Sorry.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59386 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, within tolerance and just a spender.
Learn More...
Australia
13732 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's clad, it's not a "wrong planchet". Nobody else but America (and Panama, which was using American-standard planchets) was using clad coins at the time.

I suppose the key question is, does it sound different to every other worn 1967 quarter? If it does, then I'd assume the "wrong sound" is due to an internal bubble.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
941 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The sound it is not a really test. Me I consider this test a blowing in the wind.

This it is a clad coin which loose weight due to the use. Just a spender not more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9817 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge has been worn smooth. Perhaps deliberately. IMO a waste of money to get attributed. You'll get the same response as you got here.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
6475 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. What you have is just a worn out regular ole '67 U.S. quarter. Sound is NOT a test, as Silviosi said above, the sound test is "blowing in the wind." To have it graded will cost you a good $50-60 that you could spend (more wisely) on a nice coin for your collection. But, sometimes the best education is spent chasing down your hunches and learning (hopefully) from your mistakes. You came here asking for our opinion, and you have gotten it. Collectively we have said it's not worth pursuing, but in the end, that's up to you. Bonne chance!

ša va bien aller

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 507Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05