Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 D Kennedy Half Looks Like Proof - Help Needed

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,235Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At Dearborn's request. Please find pics below. I do not know about better lighting, but I took these with my cell phone.

I put a pen over each of the coins to show the difference in the reflections.

Also, as I previously stated, I got these from a mint set each. Not loose, not from a bank roll, or an album, or anything like that. I bought a few mint sets, and noticed the difference in the really shiny (mirror-like) one, and decided to ask here to see if this may be an error coin.

I did not state before, it weighs 11.7 grams, the other one weighs 11.5 grams.

Thank you.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53567 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Images from PCGS "Coinfacts"
1968-D
https://images.PCGS.com/CoinFacts/4...498_2200.jpg

1968-S Proof:
https://images.PCGS.com/CoinFacts/4...049_2200.jpg
When you click on the images, not the fields of the coins. The proof one has a lot more shine on the fields.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/22/2021 5:53 pm
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much Coop. I honestly appreciate your help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53567 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On you two images, the use of the light is the same on both images. Using the pen color would be more convincing if the pen was used on the same side of the images. Placing the coin vertically rather than horizontally. Then the pen differences could be seen better. This could be taken in two shots. On the second shot you could place the second coin on the top of the other coin, thus the locations would be the same? The more you start illustrating coins, the quicker ideas will come to you. Look at how others place them, then see if you could think if a better solution to a problem. Then use what pluses work for the better. I'm still coming up with new solutions for old problems. I find my self looking at the setups on the shows and see what they are doing and how I could think up a different way to create illustrations. My mind is always working. (sometimes hard to shut it down)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I acknowledge that you say both coins came from mint sets but the "shiny" one looks like it has had some pocket shine. The devices look worn.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again,

I do not know if this is better? My lighting is always left wanting, my apologies.

However, I took a pic of the rims again. If they are both 40% silver, why does the "shiny" one's edge look like it may be fully clad?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53567 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That show the true colors better. The hazing if from being the holders so long. Now that one doesn't look plated anymore. So now could you inclue images of 'IN GOD' and 'We TRUST'? Those were the devices I was seeing as hub doubled? But the issue with the plating took over my mind. The tops of the devices may have been wiped of the hazing and this making it look like it was damaged, when it really probably wasn't.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Coop. Please find pictures below:

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05