Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2010 P LMC Retained Detached Lamination?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 588Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
754 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  01:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm working on correctlt orienting the obv/rev pics

Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see a delamination here. Others thing maybe, let the others pronounce.
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like part of the copper plating has torn away from the rim/edge and stayed intact. Laminations only occurred on copper Lincoln Cents, not zinc Lincoln Cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks silviosi and Scuba1. I didn't know how else to describe it. Peeled plating? It is detached and retained right?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, not expert on this. My I look more fore delamination, crack planchet and toning. Seem to be like a detached material but I question this because the rim is ok. Now is late and the really experts on this sleep. wait tomorrow morning.

By your photos the color is strange. The photos can play us. Me I see same color near rim and some parts of the head. If they are really blue it is after mint strike.

Sorry can not say or pronounce more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3078 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  02:05 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim seems to have taken a hit in that area. The copper plating may have sheared and been displaced inward while still attached to the rim at one end, just over the I of IN. It looks like Post Mint Damage to me. PMD, but still interesting.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
06/21/2021 02:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks silviosi and yokozuna. I tried to get some pics earlier but the daylight disappeared. I'll take better ones soon. I'm having phone issues that's why there's no full obverse reverse. Looks like the detached piece is struck into the coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40014 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zincolns do not have laminations.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
still interesting.

I agree--not convinced that this happened at the mint, but an interesting rim issue nonetheless.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59259 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Peeled plating due to damage. Cannot be a lamination.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52297 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moved the foil loading, then struck it onto a new location. (Should be gray color like zinc if this is the case)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3414 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck through retained rim burr?

The rim still looks fully struck up despite the zinc being exposed. So maybe pre-strike planchet damage is possible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. Error looks legit to me. I'm almost confident enough to start selling some of my finds.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you can see it has been detached and struck through before the strike

Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Tanman, looks like a retained rim burr to me.
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here you can see it has been detached and struck through before the strike

Hello RW. Did you mean to say it was detached and 'then' struck through during the strike? A strike through is during the strike. It couldn't have been struck through before the strike. Not being nit-picky at all here but just want to make sure you are familiar with what a struck through coin is. Hey..... I had to take English/Grammar 3 dang times in College before I passed (I hate writing....) Still having trouble with my composition and grammar 40 years later after college....... Very nice and neat find for sure.
Edited by Scuba1
06/22/2021 5:21 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 588Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05