Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Shield Penny - Die Crack

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 281Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
182 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  4:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All.

This one is really hard to photograph. Sorry if the pics are not good.

I thought this was a scratch and a little die chip until I found multiples in the same roll. Please help identify the error. Is this a die break, crack...or something else?

I think I see:

On the Obverse Lincoln's head - die crack from beside nose moving upward and the leftward across the top of Lincoln's head. The (crack) seems to mirror the shape on the top of the head which seems odd.

DDD - see LIBERTY and top of Lincoln's head.

Rim retaining collar not right....but not a broadstrike...

Thank you for all thoughts and opinions.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6475 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First closeup and I'd say a scratch, second closeup, maybe more than a scratch. I know it's difficult, but better photos would certainly help
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks merclover :) Maybe this is a dumb question. So if it is a scratch, a scratch could be on the surface of the die and then repeated on subsequent coins....?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Often we use markers to identify die states for known varieties. Other times markers mean nothing. But when searching rolls of the same batch, they become useful if you are trying to identify how many different die pairs are in that batch. So other times, the marks are interesting, but unless they serve a purpose, they would mean nothing. I thought this might help to explain when we view markers as important.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cons, then it would be a die scratch not a scratch on the coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thank you all! I can see the progression of the Die Deterioration in the roll and then found a sanded one that may be the removal of the scratch. Does that seem farfetched?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52371 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or it was struck before the die event happened?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh Ha! Thanks coop. Need to think in reverse sometimes!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 281Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05