Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland 1898 50 Cents

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 703Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1410 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:08 pm Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have difficulties deciding if this is an Obv1 or obv 2
and Small W or large
please help
Thank you
H
Pillar of the Community
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super hard to tell - is it an 1898? If so, my take is large W which should mean that it's obv. 1 as I don't think there's a large W, obv 1.

Also, Obv 2 looks a little more puckered up and kissy I think?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1410 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it definitely is 1898.
there is no need to post the rev side.
Edited by 47P7
06/22/2021 9:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8462 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OBV1
Since this is the grading section we do need to see both sides in order to give an informed opinion.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you can tell this is a 1898 just by looking at the Obverse. There are other years with the same obverse.

Its def a large W variety, and somewhere in the Very Good range, I think.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1410 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deductible
what do you base your suggestion of a large W on?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
because the small W version has a much smaller W
Pillar of the Community
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The small/big W is a pretty easy distinction to make - once you've seen it you'll never lose it. Personally, I still struggle with obv 1/2 - there's no gestalt level recognition - you have to look carefully at the eyelid and the mouth areas to make the distinction. And on a worn coin it just gets harder.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1410 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM
Would you please be so kind and explain as to WHY the rev side is needed to determine something which can ONLY be seen on the OBverse side? I did not ask for grading this coin. No need for that.

Deductible
your answer is rather vague and does not explain much.
Silver101
As I said, it is 1898 and nothing else.
that year had the following markers referring to the W
small W
large W
large W over small W

to determine obv 1 or obv two, the following markers are defining this:
"do the top 4 laurel leaves enter the band at any point or not?

I have consulted with Barry Borsellini's CD and am still not much wiser. (with permission 2015)
here are Barries two and my images.

Edited by 47P7
06/24/2021 10:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a large W, obverse 1.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10721 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did not ask for grading this coin. No need for that.

Yes there was a need, you have this posted in the Grading Section so we have to assume you are looking for a grade along with your question so both sides are required.
Edited by JimmyD
06/24/2021 3:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1410 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok JimmyD, see your point, but
where should I have posted it?
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10721 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing that you were looking for a variety, you could have posted it in the "Canadian Variety and Error Coins" Forum
Edited by JimmyD
06/24/2021 5:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW - curious to know what people think about the Charlton description of obv 1/2 which states "top 4 laurel leaves enter the band at any point or not". I have several of the 1898 incl all three varieties and can't see that distinction. I look at the eye and the mouth of the queen.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8462 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Charlton's description of the obverses of many Victorian coins is often confusing and inadequate.
Some markers cannot be mentioned by Charlton's for copyright reasons, for others they just rehash the same old hooey.

@Silver101 disregard the laurel leaves and use the upper lip and eye line if that works for you, those markers are valid and easy to distinguish. Also note that OBV1 has a slightly more pronounced double chin. There are other markers as well.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1790 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some markers cannot be mentioned by Charlton's for copyright reasons, for others they just rehash the same old hooey.

Why? What is copyrightable about an observation?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 703Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05