Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 D LMC Abnormally Thick Devices On Reverse, Wwhr?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 248Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2973 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  3:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are a few oddities going on with this cent.

The first thing I noticed was that the collar was quite large, which I've seen before, but not so drastic. I was planning to save it because of just that oddity, even though it wasn't that special.

But then I turned the coin to the reverse. It just popped out to me how thick the devices were. I've seen 1989 D cents and none of them were this drastic.

After looking on Wexler's, I found that it could be possible that the cent simply had the WWHR-001, but I wanted to confirm that here.

What do you guys think? Again, my assumption is that it is just the WWHR, but I just want to be sure.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10879 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see some DDD and Split plate Doubling, maybe this is what makes the lettering appear thicker.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2973 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that as well, but I took that out of the equation. Perhaps it could also be slight Machine Doubling flowing downwards to the center of the coin as well. As you might notice, there are splits visible in the devices, especially in Ts of STATES.

It was just slightly unusual to my eyes as I try to keep my microscope at a perfect level, and when I removed a Memorial cent and slid this coin underneath it, the devices looked significantly larger.

Could also be slight die polishing causing the devices to "pop out" more.

I just thought this might be an interesting piece to discuss
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Edited by SilverCents
06/23/2021 3:44 pm
Learn More...
United States
20081 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes split plate doubling is what jumped out at me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52416 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd keep it as an educational piece to show to other new collectors you run into. Probably the Obverse is like that also. If so you have a great example of DDD. (If you don't save it, then this conversation will come back and haunt you. And you won't have to get in front of the machine:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/23/2021 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2973 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly Coop, I will indeed. It will give me a chance to educate new beginners as you suggested.

Ha! I'd very much prefer not to have dealings with such a machine!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 248Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05