Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1954 Dime With "Dagger In The Head" Lol

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 346Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  7:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add riz36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new at this and found this dime in a roll. Is it worth grading? Keeping? Selling?

Thank you for your advice.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3443 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is worth about 2$..melt value only, in my opinion..
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18720 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some die chip errors for sale will attract more buyer interest than others.
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a small die crack, nice for a die study though .
Learn More...
United States
20043 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Dagger in the head" is a pretty good name @riz, although we seem to favor "spike head" here on CCF.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59325 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a bullion coin.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3085 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What follows may or may not be true. You have to judge for yourself. (Note: It's not really true, I'm just weird.)

This is THE coin that proves when Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer of the "Little Rascals" grew up he became Franklin Delano Roosevelt The President Of The United States from 1933 to 1945.

As POTUS, FDR always had a staff of hair stylists trying to keep the event seen here from happening. They must have been taking a break, asleep or had a rare day off as you can see on this coin. The coin's designer, John R. Sinnock just happened to be attending a Rose Garden event at the White House when the President's hair popped out of place and revealed the truth of the matter. Up until that moment, no one outside of the President's Not-A-Rascal Task Force knew the truth of FDR's true Hollywood identity.

John R. Sinnock snuck the obverse die for the coin depicting this event into the Philadelphia mint in 1954. Only a handful of these coins made it into circulation. Sinnock was almost fired from his position as Chief Engraver of the United States Mint, but was able to cover up his part in what is now known as Alfalfagate.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
6451 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A silver melt coin, just bullion at this point.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2298 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like displaced metal to me, the back of Rosie's head looks flat below the "dagger".
Pillar of the Community
United States
4748 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nfine... Perhaps that linear feature is a lid, in the open position at the read of Roosevelt's head.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2260 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Yokozuna's explanation for the sprout.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2267 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing I thought when I saw this coin was "Alfalfa", was going to come up with a smart-alek remark, but Yokozuna beat me to it.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36, My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarter Albums coin count: 423/423
My Dansco 8113,8114 Jefferson nickel Albums coin count: not sure yet
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add riz36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also thought of alfalfa! its almost as amazing as dwight "spanky" Eisenhauer debacle.

its def a mint error and worth
investigating. Has anyine seen or heard of another one like it!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add riz36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the comment Sel_691 said. Do I sell on this site? and if so, I guess I need to learn research this community more. It definitely could be for sale.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2260 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is only a die crack.

Please don't take our light humor as an indication of value. Once you meet the criteria for selling here you can offer it up, but don't be disappointed when you get no takers.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05