Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Think The Australian Coin Collecting Bubble Has Burst?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 718Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Australia
93 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Collector wise things have been crazy in Australia for the last couple of years but I have noticed a couple of things of late.

Firstly at the start of the month 3 coins were released, A coloured $1 Ginger Meggs set, A gold mini $2 coin, and a commemorative battle of Long Khanh 50c. These are all still available at The Royal Mint website. Admittedly none of these are circulation coins but they are the 3 most collected denominations the reaction to these compared to the Skippy or Banjo Patterson coins from a year or so ago are worlds apart it makes me wonder.

The second thing I noticed was the ANDA privy marked dollar coin from the Brisbane show in May had stock put on the RAM website where they sat for about a week, compared to the same privy marked ANDA coins that sold out in under 90 seconds when released online last year.

So do you think the collector bubble has burst? Are a lot of people are going to be stuck with a lot of stuff rapidly losing the artificial value they may have once had? Or is this just a natural lull and will pick up again when the next thing comes along? If this was a temporary bubble do you think there will be a weird supply and demand situation for collector coins released between 2019 and 2021?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1074 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
like all thing collectable it depends on the peoples disposable income, if that starts going down, plus don't think collector would be some sort of exception in the near term. Right now it's cause of government spending programs. However I agree with you its slowed slightly down from the peak. That being said price haven't come back down, and people still not willing to dump the toilet paper that they amass from the local shops.
Edited by ryurazu
06/24/2021 02:54 am
Learn More...
Australia
13733 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard reports that generally, the worldwide COVID lockdown has been a positive thing, in terms of coin values. Prices for classic rarities, ancients and mediaevals have doubled and finding buyers generally is much easier. People are sitting at home, bored, and coin collecting is a hobby you can do while locked in your house.

So, while some of the get-rich-quick fervour of the eBay flippers may have abated (and it is this, rather than actual collector demand, that saw recent RAM and ANDA releases sell out super-quick), I think coin collecting as a whole is stronger in the past few years.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
662 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think coin collecting as a whole is stronger in the past few years.

Hi Sap,i agree,some of the FaceBook Coin places are going gangbusters.
As far as the RAM & Perth Mints go their products demand ebbs and flows as they flood the local market,Dealers don't have time to breathe before the next issue is out.
The Mints can't lose with Gold/Silver issues,only have to sell a small % to pay for minting costs and the left overs are still Bullion.
In the 2000's I purchased a large number of Oz. 1oz Silver Coins from a USA Ebay seller.They were cheaper than the Mint release and I asked him,smelling a rat,how he could do that.He said his brother is a large Coin dealer and he purchased in bulk from the Perth Mint at a special price,particulary if it was an aging issue.
Jungle out there.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18734 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Australia,
classic cars, coins, real estate: - all rising rapidly.

I think it may be due to the very low interest rates on cash investments.
That is one on my motivations for increased spending on coins. Just for now, they offer better medium term investments than cash does, provided that I do intensive price research, and buy well. Half a century of experience certainly helps in this regard. Also helps if you collect across the whole range of numismatics, because bargains are much easier to find.

I will stop spending on coins when the stock market, and real estate prices fall (stock market), or level out (real estate).

However, when it cones to numismatics, I haven't sold anything in 40 years, so I guess you can't call me a numismatic investor, because there is no profit motive. The result is a very extensive, varied and interesting coin collection.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
761 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I think it may be due to the very low interest rates on cash investments.

A neighbour down the road who has never bought a coin in his life recently told me he bought a proof set from the PO as he thought it might be an OK investment. I guess as well that with so little return from bank interest people think they might as well spend it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1074 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But really are people seriously "investing" in proof alphabet set, with not even a real understanding of what it means to have a set......
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2800 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
However the OP has a point - its getting to overkill, all these commem coins and these show and limited mint releases are drowning the market. Think of it the two rarest coloured $2 coins are the 2012 Red Poppy (And its provy marks) and the 2013 (Queens Purple coin). These coins were one off in those years.

The 2014 and 2015 have some value too, but 2016 onwards is overkill, the Olympic coins are easy, most of the Alphabet dollars are easy - but those earlies when there were few releases each year and few coins are hard.

I blame the topics - obscure children's characters that have NO interest outside Australia. I am in New Zealand and had no idea what a Possum magic was or Mr Squiggle, same with Ginger eggs or whatever the heck it is.

*** Edited by Staff ***

Lift the tone of these issues (ie Indigenous rights, Parliament, Womens Suffrage, Gay rights) rather than old kids shows, koalas and roos and thugby league and things may point back up. They need to stop pandering to cliches and stereotypes like surfing, koalas, roos and coins with Vegemite on them.

Believe or not guys, most of the world laughs at Australia and its "Low" culture. Notice how we approach things from the high road in New Zealand (Anzac, Endangered birds, Maori cosmology etc) and do not have coins with Jonah Lomu or Russell Rooster, Big Ted, Thingee and Manu (Look those two up).

Although I will admit, the Lord of the Rings tatt is annoying and getting old and the All Blacks are more a commercial enterprise than Rugby team now.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
07/12/2021 9:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
20067 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pt, you will see that I have removed some of the offensive language from your most recent post. I'm glad to see your passion toward ANZ numismatics, but you need to take it down a couple notches please. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3063 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PrinceTane, as an Australian coin collector, I can only agree with you. Way too much garbage being released these days and that's why I chose to only collect coins that circulate. I would go broke trying the keep up with all the stuff that RAM and Perth Mint churn out.

You also forgot to mention a few other Australian things like lamington and pavlova.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
136 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Princetane

yes, I agree re overkill of far too many commemorative and other quirky coins being minted by the Royal Australian Mint for a relatively small 26 million population Australia has.

The road to this overkill of minting more and more coins of no real significance by the RAM started in the early 2000's. Apart from the truly fabulous 2001 State and Territories series of 20c and 50c coins,( there are 26 coins in a standard 2001 set, including the 10 x 50c, 11 x 20c 2 x $1 and 1 each of the 5c, 10c and 20c ) one of the few other coins minted by the RAM was the 2004 50c with the 4 pointy " A's " which is available only in about half, or slightly less, of the 67,795 2004 UNC sets minted.

It was always a great interest to me to try to determine which 20c or 50c, etc, was available in which of the annual RAM UNC sets. For xample, the RAM started minting standard 20c Platypus coins in the usual annual mint sets, but minted another special 20c in another mint sets in the same year.

Buying each of these additional coins was fun and still within reasonable reach for many.

I didn't mind this as it kept up my interest which is now 50 years plus. Yes, I do have this addiction which has, thankfully, kept my brain from having to rely on WD 40.

Unfortunately, now, the interesting and very enthusiastic times have passed as far as my collecting goes. The Australian numismatic market has been ruined by the RAM's own " business model " which continues to be " formulated " by overly well paid bureaucrats who don't appear to even know how to tie up their shoe laces without having to refer to a
" how to " manual, nor having any understanding whatsoever of what the real world is all about and the all important power of consumer sovereignty.

I have to rely on a little bit of tongue-in- cheek here and think out loud :-

will next years' commemorative $1 coin(s) have the theme of " it has been discovered that water is wet" or "the 50th anniversary of aunt Mable's gall stones removal "?

Also, Princetane, thanks for all the well written extensive knowledge about so many very interesting things you took the time to share with us.

cheers

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2800 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys with comments like that, I wonder why I was censored PS: I have autism, so I was not insulting anyone. I know I should not debate Moderator decisions (Hence why I have had 7 holidays from Stampboards and booted out of Prince.org 5 times).

Australian collectible coins have peaked and its because of overkill, too many coins and too many for silly and unremarkable topics.

But its the same everywhere - look at the UK's musical icons series, we started with Elton John and Queen, now we have 2nd rate acts like Who and Paul MacCartney - what's next Motorhead or Iron maiden?

NZ just as bad with coins showing Lord of the Rings Characters and the latest made up festival (Matariki is our Kwanzaa). What is next Phar Lap and Russell Crowe coins, along with that great kiwi invention Jandals?

PS: A recipe for a lamington like cake was found in a Masterton newspaper from 1881, which predates the so called Aussie invention of lamingtons in 1900 named after the then Governor of Queensland - Lord Lamington.

However I will give Australia the Pavalova - its theirs, but we added the Kiwifruit slices in place of peaches.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
07/13/2021 2:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about the circulated coins but the bullion silver and gold coin offerings are ridiculous. Notwithstanding the colorized coins, proofs, unusual shapes, extra large weights, none of which I care for, how does one keep up? I have a lot of silver coins from Australia but I would say none of the series are complete. There are too many. Don't get me wrong. They are beautiful. I'm a sucker for coins with animals on them. Who has better animals than Australia? (Africa, maybe) I like the rectangular dragons too. But I've given up on trying to get complete series. My OCD doesn't even seem to care anymore.
Edited by HappyHippo
07/13/2021 3:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
761 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all the comments I think you're all missing the main point - mints (especially Perth) are businesses out to make money. Do they care about coin collecting as a hobby? I doubt it. They now market their products to a much wider audience. Car themed coins for petrol heads, tooth fairy coins and baby keepsakes for doting parents, Chinese lunar coins for the asian community etc. I would be surprised if more than 50% of purchasers are actual coin collectors. Looking at the high prices these bits of overpriced bling fetch it seems they are doing the right thing as far as making a profit is concerned. Like trash reality TV (which I thought would have died a decade ago), it's popular with the general punter and is here to stay.
Princetane - Australia already has a Phar Lap coin.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces14162.html
Also, Possum Magic and Mr Squiggle coins were intended to circulate in Australia, not overseas so rather pointless commenting that the topics have no interest to someone from another country.
As a collector I find the number of coins ridiculous but have realised it's no good getting worked up about it as it is only going to get worse, especially when circulation coins are no longer produced.
I do buy some of the bling using low ball bids on e-bay but I loose about 95% of the time as I'm not prepared to bid high amounts for trinkets.
Parliament coins - images of pollies asleep or sexting on their mobiles during session time?
LGBT coins - might lose sales to the religous people. I do think a rainbow themed coin for circulation would be OK.

Quote:

All Blacks are more a commercial enterprise than Rugby team now.

Isn't that the case for all professional sports teams these days?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4189 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you are guys are describing could have been said about the RCM (Canada) years ago. Yet it continues unabated here.

One of my Coin club members described the RCM issues not as coins, but "giftware". There will always be a market for useless, attractive/ popular themed items to give as presents, even if coin collectors avoid them.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18734 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect Australian coins.

That is, except for special issues issued into general circulation. These coins are obtained from pocket change at face value. Keeps my collector and hunting interests going, but ultimately, they will loose real value due to inflation.

Thus, for me, the Australian coin collecting bubble is not going to burst.
But I don't mind if it does.

New issue bright 'n shiny NCLT has never interested me.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 718Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05