Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Francophiles - Question Re 1942 Vichy 1 Franc Heavy Type

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 574Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  03:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is a "cross on a globule"?
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces18132.html
I know the referees give their time and expertise for free but allowing variety entries without photo documentation or supporting information that users can view is pointless.
I know I've mentioned this complaint before. Sometimes I feel like....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
814 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't found any useful illustration online (and I don't have one of these rarities myself ), but it means the globules before and after the word PATRIE have crosses on them. Apparently this was done for the 50 c and 1 fr coins in this series, for the first 1000 strikes (as a sort of test coins, intended for circulation if the coins were approved, which they were).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9296 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  04:52 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My very old (1989) Gadoury catalog lists two varieties of the 1942 pattern 1 franc. One can be distinguished because it lacks the designer's initials LB on the reverse to the right of the axe head; the other has medal rather than coin orientation. It also lists a trial 50 centimes of the same date but doesn't describe it. I'd never heard about the crosses on the globules before - fascinating!
Learn More...
United States
20860 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DG, I see a couple of these listed for sale by CDMA at the ma-shops website, but to @erafjel's point, the resolution on those pics isn't great enough to see those crosses very clearly. This is the best that I can do:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5067 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...allowing variety entries without photo documentation or supporting information that users can view is pointless.

I agree that listing could have been improved just by specifying which "globules" (dots in English), since there are dots in the legend but also at the denomination.

From the viewpoint of someone who has created a bunch of Numista listings, yes, it would be additional work to do downloads of photos from authorized places to make the listing more complete for major variants. Some people do it (the guy who created the Poland-Lithuania catalog is legendary for his thoroughness), but most don't. I think to some extent it depends on whether the listing was created as a one-off (as mine are), or as part of creating a major section of the catalog.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses folks. Well at least I know that globules are dots. I agree it can be some extra work but it does make it a whole lot easier for those trying to enter coins who aren't in the know. I have always cringed when I see words like large and small as such a description is useless if you have a single coin and nothing to compare it to. I still have a bunch of Philippine pesos sitting in a box while I wait for clarification as apparently one year a larger design. I have not seen a single example on the web, even though the topic has been raised on several occasions. In short, nobody seems to have seen an example. I contacted the referee and was told it was in Krause and therefore it must be correct. I am sure there are mistakes in Krause and to blindly copy them seems absurd. Such varieties should be deleted until a member has a coin to photograph and provide. Anyway, rant over!
Edited by David Graham
06/25/2021 02:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9296 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  04:22 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have always cringed when I see words like large and small as such a description is useless if you have a single coin and nothing to compare it to.

I remember getting a 1697 English sixpence, opening Coin Year Book and discovering there were no fewer than 27 varieties listed for that date, but with no illustrations, simply descriptions such as "Early Harp, Large Crowns". Yet elsewhere the same catalog had separate photos of George VI coins showing versions with and without 'IND IMP' and separate photos of Elizabeth II coins showing versions with and without 'BRITT OMN'. I wrote the editor a letter saying that it would be much more useful to collectors if there were more illustrations of the different varieties on older coins. I got a very nice letter back, saying that my suggestion would be discussed at the next editorial meeting - but the very next issue of Coin Year Book was exactly the same as the previous one!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 574Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05