Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Emperor Antoninus Denarius Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 289Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi Guys

I have just received a Emperor Antoninus Denarius which is very dark, or covered in a dark substance? Maybe horn silver?

I know its from an era before the silver purity really started to go down. If you see the pictures that are little chips in the covering that show the good silver underneath. Which leads me to believe its a coating / toning of sorts as opposed to a lime denarius with no actual silver content.

I believe the coin to be genuine but if anybody here thinks differently please say so.

Here are some pictures I've taken and from the sale.

Cheers Jay

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be curious about the weight if you would be so kind.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

it looks like a limes denarius

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/n...s%20denarius

I own lime denarius they contain no silver and this is nothing like them.

If you look at the pictures where parts of the coating are chipped (for want of a better word) you can see the shinny solid silver underneath.

Cheers Jay
Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Louis

I only have my wifes kitchen scales that only weight to the gram atm. On those scales its 3grams.

Cheers Jay
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is still important to me Jay because there are fouree coins that are just the bronze core and some silver is left on them. But they are usually lower weight.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
06/24/2021 1:43 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Victor

I've tried to highlight the wear points in the gunk covering / tuning / horn silver (whatever it is) where the silver coin underneath can be seen.

Jay

Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Weight is still important to me Jay because there are fouree coins that are just the bronze core and some silver is left on them. But they are usually lower weight.

Totally agree Louis my last scales were broken and I need to order a set off Amazon.

Until then I've just got the wifes scales that measure to the gram and its shows 3grams which I guess tells us its between 3 and 4 grams in weight.

My understanding is this coin should weight just a tad over 3 grams is that right?

Would a fouree weight for a coin this size be under 3 grams?

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers Jay
Learn More...
United States
23587 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin does appear genuine, it appears to me that it has been lacquered which has turned dark. give it a soak in acetone. If you don't have that try lemon juice. If it's lacquered that should remove it and the silver should appear. At 3 grams I don't believe it's a Limes denarius, most of the weights I'm seen on those are around 2.75 grams.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1252 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Horn silver takes many forms. "Black gunk" is one of them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 289Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05