Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions On Collecting A Type Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 863Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  9:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Having recently resumed the hobby after many years absent I gravitated towards gold coins. Quickly realized this is quite costly, but I'm hooked. So far I've accumulate a dozen and other than the pre-classic head pieces, I am only missing a classic head quarter eagle and a St. Gaudens double. I'm curious about opinions on whether or not common dates detract from a type set?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind common dates in gold coins if they are nicer condition. Some people have other opinions though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59325 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In truth, common-date coins almost always define a type set, regardless of denomination.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3070 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Common dates do not detract from a type set, but I try to stay away from the most common dates as there is much more competition when it is time to sell. On the Saint-Gaudens I did not want the 1924 or 1928.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a type set collector, the way I see it a type set almost has to be common dates or else it would be ridiculously expensive and difficult to complete. I say grab up common dates for your type set, and rarer dates as a separate endeavor. Of course that's just me!
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what I have so far:
1853 Liberty Head $1
1854 Indian Princess $1
1873 Indian Princess Type 3 $1
1902 Liberty Head Quarter Eagle
1925D Indian Head Quarter Eagle
1857 $3
1834 Classic Head Half Eagle
1846 Liberty Head Half Eagle
1912S Indian Head Half Eagle
1891 Liberty Head Eagle
1911 Indian Head Eagle
1901S Liberty Head Double Eagle
Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out mine (not gold)

https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/305404/

Almost all are common dates.
Edited by hfjacinto
06/25/2021 08:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5284 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I always say, a type set is great because YOU get to define what YOURS will be composed of.
In my case I go for high grades, not rarity.
I'd rather have an MS-64 common date rather than an XF less common date.
But that's MY definition for MY type set.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59325 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second @kanga's thoughts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3727 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd rather have an MS-64 common date rather than an XF less common date.

Same here, except for me it's often more of "I'd rather have an XF common date rather than an G less common date."
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks All for the input! When I was starting to get back into the hobby I read somewhere that a collector should try and buy the scarcest coin in the best condition he/she can afford. That seemed like sage advice and that's what I have been trying to do. I was burned a couple of times during early purchases of Canadian gold, so now I stick with slabbed coins by either PCGS or NGC exclusively. I use multiple sources to try and ballpark values including texts and a couple of web sites. As a Canadian I have to calculate in possible taxes, import fees, shipping etc. when deciding what a reasonable price is and I've found that some Ebay dealers are willing to sell outside of the platform at reduced costs which benefits my bottom line.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8744 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw my Two Cents in. I've been working on my type set for quite a while and I'll share my general thoughts. Only buy once and be extremely strict. That means be unreasonably picky and a complete perfectionist, don't buy anything you'd be tempted to upgrade. Buy the best grade you can afford, and if it's a design you like more, stretch the budget. I've put budget limits on all the different types I've needed, I've also broken those limits on designs I like, see the Barber quarter I recently picked up. I had budgeted 1k for a nice MS-64 or 65 and ended up going above that for a real gem of a design I like.

http://goccf.com/t/401485

Thirdly, build a set you like and have fun doing it, that's what's most important. Type sets can take a long time. I bought a draped bust half dollar 2 years ago for my type set, and just recently bought a Draped Bust quarter. The reason it took so long was not so much due to budget, but due to lack of acceptable coins on the market.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Common dates do not detract from a type set, but I try to stay away from the most common dates as there is much more competition when it is time to sell. On the Saint-Gaudens I did not want the 1924 or 1928.
Slider, I'm curious to know which of the St. Gaudens years are less common, but still affordable in your opinion?
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Grape, that is an outstanding coin! I am not in this for profit, rather nostalgia. Collected a very long time ago and sold off during the gold/silver boom of 1980. Broke my heart actually. So the coins I buy now are for me. Gold coins in particular intrigue me, but eventually I'll move on to others. I really like the odd ball denominations (2 and 3 cent pieces) as well as Canadian 5 cent silvers.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RaleighCoinDeal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type sets are just that. Normally you may want the different types but in the best condition possible. Type sets are mostly not found with scarce or rare dates. Buy any coin in the highest condition you can afford and you will be glad you did. Don't buy low grade junk coins for a type set as it wouldn't look very nice to even non collectors.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 863Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05