Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Tell Me How This Happens Please?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 314Next Topic  
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK, so I'm pretty sure this isn't an error as often as I see this, but can someone tell me exactly how this happens? The lines are incuse, and from everything Ive read die trails are raised... So, not sure..

Also, not sure if this is in the right place, so feel free to move it if necessary.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are you noticing?
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just those lines above "IN".. I'm just curious what causes that?
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I notice them once in a while and they always seem to be on the motto on Lincoln cents. Like I said I know its not an error, but wonder what the cause is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me too. I have seen plenty while crh.
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, thats where I usually find them too. I know the design on the die is incuse, making the design in relief once the coin is struck. but those lines are incuse, so I just dont understand what happens to make them that way. But it seems to happen fairly often so someone must know.
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.... Is there anybody out there?
just nod if you can hear me...

actually dont nod, because I cant see you.. but it would be mighty awesome if anyone knows what in the world causes them lines up there. It looks like the letters were slid into place, and they were really heavy so it left a trail haha.. I know its nothing special, I just like to know and understand what I'm looking at, and the different things that can happen during the coining process. I said lastnight that it always seems to be on the motto and thats true, but it seems to be on "IN" more specifically. Ive found 2 more like it since posting the threat last night.

Anyway, thanks for any help
Pillar of the Community
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I nodded. But I don't have any idea what it is. I looked it up and no results.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4797 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52348 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason the flow lines reach the rim, but leave a shadow behind?

Just die wear. If it were a doubled die the devices would be enlarged/widen/taller. But a combo of both, not just one.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the help guys! I'm going to do some research on Die Deterioration. Great photos coop. Did you take the photos? If so, do you mind me asking what kind of camera or microscope you use?
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05