Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

United States Mint Announces Designs For The National Purple Heart Hall Of Honor Commemorative Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,080Next Topic
Page: of 3
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  2:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint - The United States Mint (Mint) joined National Purple Heart Honor Mission, Inc., today to unveil the designs for the 2022 National Purple Heart Hall of Honor Commemorative Coin Program. The designs will be featured on a gold coin, a silver coin, and a half dollar coin, as authorized by Public Law 116-247. All designs were created by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Designers and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artists.

Gold Coin

Obverse
Designer: Donna Weaver
Medallic Artist: Joseph Menna
The obverse (heads) design features the Purple Heart medal with the inscriptions "LIBERTY," "IN GOD WE TRUST," "THE PURPLE HEART," "2022," and "A GRATEFUL NATION HONORS AND REMEMBERS."

Reverse
Designer: Donna Weaver
Medallic Artist: John P. Mcgraw
The reverse (tails) design places George Washington's signature under the Badge of Military Merit and over a textured stripe. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "1782," "BADGE OF MILITARY MERIT," "E PLURIBUS UNUM," and "FIVE DOLLARS."

Silver Coin

Obverse
Designer: Heidi Wastweet
Medallic Artist: Eric David Custer
The design features the Purple Heart medal with the inscriptions "COMBAT WOUNDED & KILLED IN ACTION," "LIBERTY," "1932," "2022," and "IN GOD WE TRUST." Five stars represent the branches of the military.

Reverse
Designer: Heidi Wastweet
Medallic Artist: Craig A. Campbell
The design shows a nurse in a World War I helmet as she bandages a wounded service member on a stretcher. More than 23,000 women nurses served in the Army and Navy during the war. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES of AMERICA," "E PLURIBUS UNUM," and "ONE DOLLAR."

Half Dollar Coin

Obverse
Designer: Beth Zaiken
Medallic Artist: Craig A. Campbell
The design shows a figure in military fatigues and combat boots using a pair of crutches. The left leg has been amputated from the thigh down. The negative space below shows the missing leg in silhouette. The Purple Heart medal appears behind the figure, and the inscription "ALL GAVE SOME" sits below the composition. The background field has a subtle flag motif. Additional inscriptions are "IN GOD WE TRUST," "LIBERTY," and "2022."

Reverse
Designer: Beth Zaiken
Medallic Artist: John P. Mcgraw
The design features a young boy holding the dress cap of an enlisted Marine. The silhouette of a Marine in dress blues stands behind him in negative space, emphasizing the loss that affects the families of Purple Heart recipients. The inscription "SOME GAVE ALL" is featured in the negative space around the boy in the lower half. The obverse's background field flag motif is repeated. Additional inscriptions are "E PLURIBUS UNUM," "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," and "HALF DOLLAR."
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually I like the half dollar best. Hopefully it will look good once on the half.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8036 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin program is definitely an example of persistence in effort! Representative Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY) has been pushing a bill to get a commemorative coin program for his district's National Purple Heart Hall of Honor since January 2014 (113th Congress). He introduced bills calling for coins to commemorate and financially benefit the Hall in every Congress since! The Hall is in Maloney's NY district.

The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is located in New Windsor,NY and has been open since November 2006. The Hall's mission is to "commemorate the extraordinary sacrifice of America's servicemen and servicewomen who were killed or wounded by enemy action; and to collect and preserve the stories of Purple Heart recipients from all branches of service and across generations to ensure that all recipients are represented." (Public Law 116-247)

From the beginning, Maloney's bills have sought a three-coin program - CuNi half dollar, silver one dollar and gold five dollar. Prior to the bill introduced in the 116th Congress, Maloney's bills did not gain traction and did not move past their introduction and committee referral. Things changed in the 116th!

Ironically, however, it was, technically, not Representative Maloney's bill that was finally approved, but rather an amendment to it via substitution by Senator Charles E. Schumer (D-NY).

The amendment changed the year of issue from 2021 to 2022, the issue date period from 2021 to 2022 and specifically identified the West Point Mint as the only Mint facility to strike the coins vs. the more generic "to the greatest extent possible" language regarding West Point in Maloney's bill. In regards to the type of coins to be struck, their specifications, the surcharges to be collected on each, the sponsor/benficiary, etc., the Schumer amendment was the same as the Maloney bill.

The minor changes could have been made in the House, but the "power" of the Senate helped Schumer's amendment move swiftly through both chambers of Congress and was signed into law five weeks after its introduction; the bill became law on December 22, 2020.

So, the lesson: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! (And get a little help from powerful friends!)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The designs are nice. I expect they will look better on the actual coins. I might have to get the silver dollar. Would be nice if they could pair it with a silver medal into a set, just saying.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1363 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like these designs as well, especially the dollar and half dollar, although I find the reverse of the half eagle to be derivative of the reverse of the 2018 American Innovation $1 Introductory Coin. I'll wait to see the prices before I make a decision, but the uncirculated dollar is a possibility.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the USM site, today's the day. Anyone receive shipping alerts or see a cc charge? I've got a pair of 3-coin sets, a colorized and a few silver proofs ordered. Something tells me that the product isn't ready yet.

(Mods please feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread if necessary.)
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gold coin obverse is way too busy in my opinion. Looks like they just crammed a bunch of stuff there with no eye for layout. Overall though, these are nice.
Valued Member
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you add the Purple Heart coins to your cart, it now says July 6 shipping.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally they will be shipped, and we ordered these when!
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol back in Feb, the Proof Silver Half and Dollar saying processing but the color still in back order.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I am not charged until they ship, I have no reason to complain and there are more than enough other complainers. Current estimate of shipping is either July 5 or 6, depending on the coin, with the colored version set at July 15.

I have pre-ordered the uncirculated and proof half-dollar as well as the colored silver dollar and uncirculated silver dollar of this issue.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last I heard, shipping was moved to July 14. Colored still 15th.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1591 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have updated news as to when the colorized Purple Heart coin will ship?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/national...ar-22CQ.html

says "The shipping date for this product is July 14, 2022."

My order still says processing.

Have they shipped any of the Purple Heart coins out since some of those had a 13th of July shipping date being shown?
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a shipping notice yesterday (Sunday) for it - the colorized one. I check tracking though and it just says the label was printed. So not yet in the mail stream.

My other coins from this series have not shipped, yet last week my CC was charged.

So I would say "any day now"
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine and my son's colorized had shipping notices Sunday. Nothing in the postal stream yet. I saw some listings on the bay that said they were in hand. I have my doubts.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2022  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just seen, my colorized,silver dollar and half proof was shipped yesterday.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,080Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: