Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Selling On Ebay - Advice Please :)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 510Next Topic  
United Kingdom
10 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  10:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mpearce8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have in the last year finished university and had much more free time so have invested a lot of effort into sorting and selling through the thousands of world coins which I have. I have decided to keep 1 type from each country and a few other nice examples which I can't bring myself to sell but have decided to sell everything else.

I am getting used to the eBay platform and in the last 2 months have decided to use their shop interface and I was just hoping for some opinions on what I could do to improve and if any of you more experienced sellers had any advice for me.

It is just a hobby for me at the moment and I am working pretty much full time elsewhere, I enjoy sorting through world coins and taking photos and the little bit of extra income has really helped me out.

My ebay store is https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/numismattics - I would much appreciate any feedback (even critical) as I am very new to this and want to improve where I can.

Kind regards and thank you all for your time.

Matt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4003 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you answered your own question.
You say you are pretty much working full time elsewhere.
To be successful on line it is like any other business.
EBay properly done IS a full time job .
Good luck !
Pillar of the Community
United States
521 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having been a buyer/seller on Ebay since 1999, though not as a dealer, one thing I NEED to say is LOOK INTO FEES. I don't know how ANYONE is making any decent money on Ebay these days with all their fees... add in rising postage costs, possible effect on income taxes (THANKS Elizabeth Warren...), etc. In other words, as mentioned above, "EBay properly done IS a full time job"
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismattics! Good name! If you can build up a loyal clientele it might work well! I know there's some sellers I'm devoted to as they never let me down.
Honesty is number one-juiced up photos that make a coin look awesome when its average are a big put-off, but it looks like yours are not doctored.
Some might disagree with me on this, but I'm happy to pay more for decent shipping. I've gotten coins in old pvc flips taped to old cereal boxes with scotch tape, which to me is a no deal moment. When I sell it's always in a new mylar flip to show the buyer that I care about the buyer as well as the coin itself.
Good luck with your venture! I've had fun selling on a very limited level on ebay so enjoy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3123 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are doing an excellent job. The only recommendation that you may want to consider is listing the issue with problem coins with holes, damaged, scratched, cleaned, etc. It will give you more creditability as a straight up honest seller and there will be less returns. When you have an outstanding coin, there is nothing wrong with putting a little hype to the description.
United Kingdom
10 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpearce8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your feedback it is much appreciated. For now all I can do is spend every spare minute I have running my eBay and maybe in the near future my circumstances may change and I can commit to it full time as an official business. I do agree that the fees are ridiculous sometimes and at first I was selling some items at a loss before I realised how much eBay were taking.

The photos are taken in natural light with no doctoring or filters so you can clearly see what the coin is like - I am currently using my iphone but again hopefully one day in the future I can upgrade to a decent camera.

Finally, thank you Slider23 I have noted your points, I always try to let it known if I think there is any damage or issues with a coin but I agree I could definitely improve and make the descriptions clearer.

Thank you all for being so welcoming and kind in sharing your knowledge and opinions.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 510Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05