Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Presidential Silver Medals US Mint

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 788Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  09:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there any real collector interest in this set? I have the first nine plus an extra Harrison and am debating trying to stop collecting them. For the price of ten of these I would rather have a roll of mixed date ASE's or a stack of 90%
Edited by jaxenro
07/05/2021 09:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6542 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any real collector interest in this set?

Yes, but not nearly as much as ASEs, Morgan dollars, Lincoln Cents, etc. Medals have always been a niche collecting area - enjoyed by those that partake, but often bypassed by mainstream collectors.

Quote:
For the price of ten of these I would rather have a roll of mixed date ASE's or a stack of 90%

With this statement, I believe you've answered your question regarding how to proceed. You have stronger interests elsewhere, so it might be time to pursue those other collecting avenues vs. continuing on with a set that doesn't excite you.

(PS: I don't believe the silver Presidential Medals are ever going to be a "hot" item within US Numismatics to the extent that their marketplace price explodes. They may go through periods of increased interest, but most collectors prefer coins vs. medals and this will always hold them back. IMO.)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1935 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started with the intention of collecting the whole run. When the price went up by more than 50% I put a quick halt to the effort. I have the first 4 and will not add more unless they can be procured at a more reasonable price point. A shame - they aren't bad looking pieces.
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are decent looking I agree just I never seemed to have warmed to them. I hate to give eBay their cut for selling them I think I will try here and see if anyone wants to trade for ASE or 90% silver.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are decent looking I agree just I never seemed to have warmed to them. I hate to give eBay their cut for selling them I think I will try here and see if anyone wants to trade for ASE or 90% silver.

Have you tried trading them at your LCS. I have traded silver rounds at my LCS for a 1928 P Peace dollar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
618 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect silver medals of the US Mint, but I have apprehension about the silver presidential medal series going forward.

Eventually, the silver presidential medal series will reach Theodore Roosevelt.

The Theodore Roosevelt silver presidential medal was made exclusively available as part of the 2013 Teddy Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set. The US Mint website boasted that the set included, "One Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Medal struck in .999 fine silver - for the first time in United States Mint history."

Other silver presidential medals offered in Coin and Chronicles Sets have included Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson.

My concern is that the exclusivity of owning these medals via the Coin and Chronicles Sets will be null and void if the current silver presidential medal series reissues these particular presidential medals.

It would be great if the US Mint would be proactive and responsive to this collector concern and would make the new issues slightly different than the ones issued earlier via the Coin and Chronicles Sets.

Edited by captainrich
09/26/2021 11:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3327 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have the first nine plus an extra Harrison

I have the first 10 (John Tyler being the newest and tenth edition) and will continue - I hate having an unfinished series.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still collecting this set and I intend to continue.

But if the Mint starts using the cheaper presentation box that the rest of the coins have moved to then I'll strongly consider stopping.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I won't buy any at the new mint price of $65, I'd be interested in getting one of each at the original price of $40, and I'd also cover the shipping for those 9 or 10.

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
United States
1557 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of a modern bullion set, one could collect actual historical presidential inauguration medals: http://inauguralmedals.com/Inaugurals/main.html
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up selling mine off I just never warmed to the idea of getting the newer ones
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6542 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But if the Mint starts using the cheaper presentation box that the rest of the coins have moved to then I'll strongly consider stopping.

Please help me understand why an outer box would be the determining factor in whether you collect a series of one-ounce silver medals?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My concern is that the exclusivity of owning these medals via the Coin and Chronicles Sets will be null and void if the current silver presidential medal series reissues these particular presidential medals.
I just assumed they would be doing this.

Quote:
It would be great if the US Mint would be proactive and responsive to this collector concern and would make the new issues slightly different than the ones issued earlier via the Coin and Chronicles Sets
Maybe a privy mark?

If they do not, maybe having the OGP or the medal slabbed with such provenance would mean something?

I think for most collectors, it was the reverse proof dollars in the 2015 and later sets that made the sale. Although I know I really liked the medals more.
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please help me understand why an outer box would be the determining factor in whether you collect a series of one-ounce silver medals?

If I ever collect the series, I would house them in an album. The OGP would got into storage with the other "albumed" items' materials.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2981 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have been and Will continue this Series, Love the Silver Historic Medals..... Agreed, They will not command Crazy prices, Or will they... I wish MORE Younger collectors had this series on their Minds...... Collect what Your Passion Desires.!!!!!
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 788Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05