Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Presidential Silver Medals US Mint

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 854Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3413 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please help me understand why an outer box would be the determining factor in whether you collect a series of one-ounce silver medals?

If I don't like the cheap packaging, I'll place it into another box (as I already do.) I buy the coin not the box. YES, I do wish the mint could keep the much nicer clamshell boxes. After all they increased the prices, which tells me they can afford to keep them.
It's the mint that is getting greedy and trying to maximize profit over quality on the packaging.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it would be a nice little collection to eventually pass on to my kids. No slabs and no album, just a nice set in the little boxes as they are. For my own coin collection certainly I sometimes grade/slab them, and sometimes do albums.

These though I liked keeping them as the are, little slip case and all. The clamshell is nice, especially when each coin is viewed as its own thing.

The price hike irked me but I stuck with it. A reduction in packaging will basically make me think of the USM squeezing as much margin out of me as it can. And rather than get upset about it, I likely will just say, "ah well, might as well buy some extra ASEs every year for the kids instead."

I will say also that what got me into coin collecting as a serious hobby a few years ago was the full presentation of the item. So if there are other newbies that get hooked the same way as me, the plastic tray doesn't bring in new collectors. I loved the presentation those 2016 gold items had and I bought one of each.

I hope that helps. I know I'm weird as a collector.
Learn More...
United States
105091 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After all they increased the prices, which tells me they can afford to keep them.
I thought all the sky is falling hounds driving up the price and limiting the availability of silver were to blame?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6587 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ChicagoCoinGuy: Thanks for the insights into your thought process, much appreciated. I hope things work out for you.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 854Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05