Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 D OBW Roll Of Progressing Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 473Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  5:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add therealsully87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay so this is pretty crazy but , my father had in his collection, two of these identical roles of the 1973 D's that he has had in his possession in his safe / lock box since 1973. I took both rolls of coins to a local coin dealer and suffice it to say he was unable to give any opinion whatsoever until you know I opened one of the wraps which I was very hesitant to do however it did seem like a pertinent task to complete in order to get any type of idea on what we were dealing with as far as these two roles go and suffice it to say after we unwrapped them and took a look and saw that there was an obvious error progressing through the role from one side of the road to the end of the roll the coin dealer was unable to give an estimate he was unable to give real definite information on the coin because their policy at this dealer shop is to go by the Red Book and the Red Book only and since the 1973 reversed subsidence error is not a variety listed in the Red Book he was unable to give me any more information he just said that it was worth looking into so now that I have possibly damaged slash tarnished the possible grade on 50 of these coins I refuse to open the other original bankrupt roll. But from one side of each roll to the other side the air is unmistakable and it is definitely easily seen by the naked eye does anybody on here have any idea what I should do with

A. The 50 coins that were unwrapped and of course touched by human hands by now and
B. What I should do with the roll that is still intact....

I only ask this question because obviously not sending 50 coins in to get graded can be quite a expensive Enterprise especially when involving air coins another question might be cuz I know if I send in a hundred to PCGS it's going to cost me about two grand about 20 bucks a coin does anybody think that it is worth doing so especially since the errors inside that wrapped roll are definitely going to be in mint State condition 65 and up cuz I mean they're beautiful specimens does anybody have any advice any opinions please I've been holding on to these ever since my father gave them down to me I'm just at a loss I don't know what to do anybody's opinions anybody's advice would be greatly appreciated.... Attached is a link to numerous photos of both the wrapped role and the unwrapped coins as well as microscopic views of the coins as well..
Well I guess I take that back to these this form is not allowing me to taste a URL link to my Google photos album that has a plethora of images on this coin I do not think it is sufficient to upload a 300 KB photo of these images I can't even get the detail down to that small of a size is there any way anybody can message me for a picture or for the link to the pictures 300 KB does not leave very much room for a lot of detail

Learn More...
United States
21355 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not think it is sufficient to upload a 300 KB photo of these images

@trs, first welcome to CCF. Second, I disagree with this statement. If you use the free optimizer, you will be able to post pics with sufficient quality for us to see what is going on with your coins. Each day hundreds of pictures of coins are uploaded to this site of sufficient quality.

Here is a link:

https://www.coincommunity.com/image-optimizer/

I look forward to seeing what you have there.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4364 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can use Irfanview to resize a picture for as much detail as you need. Here is an example.

You can download Irfanview here:

https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add therealsully87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2399 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln is on the one cent coin, not Jefferson.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2180 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add therealsully87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure who said anything about Jefferson, but as far as the link the person below that comment made I have read all of that like I said it actually has been food for thought because I have 100 of these errors and it progresses from one coin to the next the air gets worse and it gets worse and it gets worse my question is is something like this role worth sending off to be graded and slabbed is it worth that you know is it worth spending two grand and sending 100 coins in to getting all of these slabbed and graded does anybody have an opinion on that because the only ones that I've seen so far are a few that are on eBay and they're selling them for $100 to $170 and they are in awful condition the ones that are in this original Bank wrapped roll I've never been touched by human hands
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Afraid I don't see the subsidence error on your coins, the subdidence pics you posted are from other coins.

An original roll typically consists mostly of MS63 examples. Sometimes there will be a few MS65 coins within, but those need to be evaulated one by one rather than from a pile.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although 1973 D is the most common year for the still as of yet unexplained "Die Subsidence Error", it's hard to tell if your coins have that error from the photos you've posted.

A clear picture of the reverse of one of the coins no longer rolled would be a big help as this error can look a lot like a die clash or like PITD at times.

The issue was discussed in this thread and it has very good pictures showing the anomaly, so use it as a reference source.

http://goccf.com/t/305110

As for the valuations you mentioned, I think they may be high as well. Here's an MS example currently for sale at $18.00:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184766229592?

Still, 100 at $18 a piece is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm not sure if any of the TPG's will attribute this error.
Edited by HGK3
07/05/2021 8:35 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62732 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7507 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about clear whole photos of each side, and close-ups of any areas of interest? Please?

to the CCF!

ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of these I found crh. Not ms though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, you may be mistaken about the cost to grade them at PCGS. An error coin starts at $65 to get it on the label. Each. Second, these are common minor errors for this year, and I often see them when searching BU rolls. Value is what people will pay, but probably worth about a buck a piece tops. Even the 1924-S, a somewhat scarce date, has almost no premium for the die subsidence known as "goiter neck" and that has much more eye appeal than a bulge in the columns of a Memorial cent. I think I sent about four or five rolls of 1973 D with these errors off to someone interested in them but they didn't really study them and publish anything. Yes progression is easily visible, if that's what it is and not just variations in die strike pressure. I don't know, but I wouldn't get too excited about them other than your set may be the one to send to someone who will study them and publish a result about what is going on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found #2 yesterday.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54579 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These are common that year. So why would you have them graded? Unless they were extra high grade coins, then the error would be meaningless and the grade would be the plus factor.
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/25607502
MS-67
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/25612080
MS-66
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34107703
MS-65
$16. The grading fees would be more than the value coming back. So why? (Unless they were in the MS-66 and higher)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: