Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Pricing On Ebay And Taxes

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 934Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Russian Federation
369 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am presuming you do not have an eBay store. So with a cost of $1.10 and .65 to ship the coin, you would need a price of $2.35 to break even. The "free shipping" on eBay is to the buyer. Seller always pays actual shipping charges when he offers "free shipping"

I know that delivery is never free for the seller.
I also wanted to give some explanations. I will repeat myself. The cost of the coin is 10 cents + 1 dollar delivery. Total cost of the coin including delivery 1.10$
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5022 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did I understand correctly that $ 1.75 will give me the opportunity to pay all the fees of ebay and paypal + will cover the delivery of$ 1 and I will not remain in the red ?

No. I said in that post that if I offer the coin with free shipping, I would need to add the shipping cost. For me, that is $0.65 (including fees).

If delivery costs you $1, and you are rolling this into the price of the item, and your fees are 20%, then you must add $1.20 to break even including your delivery cost.

... and you begin to see why buying and re-selling the same low value item on eBay is a questionable proposition: it is unlikely you can sell at $2.95 (or much more if you actually want to earn something!) the item for which you paid $1.10.

Edited by tdziemia
07/07/2021 4:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget the risk of the customer saying they did not get the item in the package without tracking and lying to you. I chose to spend the extra money on the shipping not to get scammed and lose all the money. Unless it is a low value item. I usually don't use ebay on something with a profit of under $3.
Valued Member
Australia
59 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drowning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Oldfordman

I had that happen a few times, and now in all my listings I include...

Shipping Options:
- Free postage for standard domestic
- $4.50 for registered post (includes signature + tracking)
We recommended you choose registered shipping for your purchase as we do not take responsibility for untracked products lost by Australia Post in transit.

For any coins valued over $50 I ONLY offer postage that includes tracking.
Edited by drowning
07/08/2021 12:21 am
Valued Member
Australia
59 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drowning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For calculating profit, I have a spreadsheet I use.

I have a business account, so my profit calc is:
(LIST PRICE + SHIPPING PRICE) - (((postage cost + packaging)+(ad 5% * List Price) + (coin cost) + ((list price + shipping price)* 12.9%) + $0.33)) * 1.1 for 10% GST)

Definitely recommend setting up a spreadsheet with your profit formula so you can just copy/paste it. Makes pricing much easier and prevents losses.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
369 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drownin Thank you for your help, but I will use the ready-made calculator offered by Singer.

Quote:
... and you begin to see why buying and re-selling the same low value item on eBay is a questionable proposition: it is unlikely you can sell at $2.95 (or much more if you actually want to earn something!) the item for which you paid $1.10.

Sometimes I manage to find good coins on the domestic market that I can resell with a good profit, but more often I just buy coins that in my opinion seem attractive to me and that I myself would like to put in the collection, but alas they turn out to be too cheap and I get almost no profit with it. I don't know yet which category I should delve into in order to have at least a modest income for the purchase of new coins in my collection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5022 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just buy coins that in my opinion seem attractive to me and that I myself would like to put in the collection, but alas they turn out to be too cheap

I've done that a few times, too. But I am only paying $0.20 at my local coin store, so even if I sell it for $0.99 (I never use free shipping) I can break even.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know yet which category I should delve into in order to have at least a modest income for the purchase of new coins in my collection.

As the saying goes, it takes money to make money.

"Modest" is a very broad word. From a western perspective, your best bet is anything Imperial, in my opinion. Coinage up to 1917/8, especially gold (silver, too), I'd imagine could offer you a very good return, especially if graded/certified.

Low-value coins, as many have said, have very low margins for resellers, so the hassle may not be worth the time and few cents made.

Sadly, Russia and China have a reputation as reliable sources for fakes and forgeries, so you might need the third-party grading or a great eBay reputation to overcome that.
Edited by classic_coin
07/09/2021 11:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20371 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad I don't use ebay.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 934Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05