Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seeking Reference Books For Medieval British Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 322Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7221 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  12:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings experts -

I've gained an interest in learning about medieval British coinage in preparation of likely acquiring a few examples. The period of time that I'm mainly interested in learning about spans approximately 1100AD to 1400AD.

I'm asking for your suggestions on a good reference that can guide my learning. You know 'Buy the book before buying the coin'.

In case you are curious - my interest has arisen as a result of reading Ken Follett fabulous Kingsbridge series of novels. There are a lot of references in those books to silver pennies, farthings, gold nobles, etc. and I wish to acquire a few examples.

I'd appreciate your assistance to guide me to a trusted reference. Thanks!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ns, for coins of England I only use "Coins of England & The United Kingdom" by Spink. Mine is from 2014, but I bet they've updated it since then. If the coin originated a bit further North or West, then I crack open "Coins of Scotland, Ireland, and the Islands" by Seaby.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
check out the Medieval European Coinage series

https://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/research/mec

Learn More...
United States
23599 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also recommend Spink.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5026 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really loved reading Pillars of the Earth some years ago ... Gothic cathedrals and medieval coins could be quite a nice collecting theme. Let's see ... Canterbury, York, Lincoln ... If I am not mistaken, English coins were minted in all those places and probably a few more. I once contemplated something similar for French feudals, starting with a Carolingian denier minted in St. Denis where it all started, but abandoned the idea (and sold the coin).
Edited by tdziemia
07/16/2021 11:16 am
United Kingdom
23 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add richtea to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto to Spink Coins of England.

Prices are updated every year, so if you're worried about value for money, get the latest guide - 2021, but obviously it's still all approximate.
A copy that's a year or two old is going to have nearly all the same information, and be half the full price, which is around 25-30. Mine is 2018, and I might update it next year.

Note that the last few editions have been split into pre-decimal and decimal. You want the pre-decimal obviously.

[Ah - sweet! my avatar has been updated. Thanks admins!]
Edited by richtea
07/23/2021 5:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9229 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the above comments on Spink, but I also really like the Coincraft Catalogue of English and UK coins by Richard Lobel, although unfortunately it has not been published since the year 2000. It has more photographs of different varieties than Spink and goes into more detail where there are variations in portraits, etc. Secondhand copies sell for about 5 or so in the UK and are great value at that price.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05