Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Is PMD Right? Thought Maybe A Gas Bubble.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 492Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  10:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After looking is this caused mayb by like a sodering gun or like a hot piece of metal pushed into the coin? I haven't tried to clean it but the dark spot makes me think burned

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya definably PMD as far as iv read. People do weird things to coins lol. It be kwl of it was a big bubble first time I personally have come across a coin l
Like this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos are the best I am afraid, but looks like a struck-through-grease error.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try and get a better picture tonight. These were in the dark outside with my phone light. The dark spot looks like someone stuck something really hot to the coin and made the metal bubble. But I'll re post it later. Iv seen some grease struck through errors online but I don't remember seeing one that cases the metal to buble like this. It be kwl if it was Struck Through Grease. Be my first one, but I think it's gonna come out as a PMD coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it indented or raised? I thought it was indented but now it looks raised. Corrosion if so I would guess.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's raised for sure except where the clack spot is that's indented. That's why I'm thinking melted
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks molten but raised.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be home in like 6 hours or so and I'll post some better pics. As long as I haven't just thrown it into a random coin pile lol
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's 100% raised but I'm pretty sure where you see the black spot it's not raised it's indented I'm pretty sure. Would this be the result of taking like a red hot nail or something and letting it melt into the coin? Would that cause the metal to blister up?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1045 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD, this is a rust spot that grew under the plating. It can happen when a scratch or hole punctures the surface layer and exposes the steel core to water and air, probably sat outside for a while or was in a washing machine.
Searching Canadian Small Cents daily since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1951 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/363635
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 1 http://goccf.com/t/373627
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/408163
1989 Belize 25 Cent's DDR http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So not melted ? You'll have a better idea with better pics. Never thought about that, never seen a coin with raised rust spot , like the one nickel I posted that was like attacked by an ice pick, lots of the core exposed and rusted but nothing growing out of the coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8579 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pics won't help.
We've seen this many times before.
As JohnWayne007 said it's rust forming beneath the plated surface.
This is a very common condition, and an indication of what the future holds for plated steel coins
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61653 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree completely.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think it looks like a burn personally, right beside the black creater is a big ball of metal, not like the raised parts on the coin but iv never seen it so rust definitely makes sense but with these pics it's really hard to see anything I'm describing. Either way PMD as I originally thought though:p
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So here is the updated pics, but ya I think I'm gonna have to agree because if the colouring around the effected area that it is rust. But figured I'd post the updated so it's easier to tell

I was 99% sure it was PMD I just didn't know for sure so I ask:) first time I personally have seen it and online info is like looking for a needle in a hey stack lol. Thanks for the info guys
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05