Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have I Found A Solid Block Of Silver?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,983Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
5307 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aha, a water-related feature--perhaps a fragment from an exploded steamship boiler.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15859 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like a chunk of Criptonite .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like the space poop that Joe Dirt found.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4231 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can't find another piece, maybe unobtainium
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60672 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tony - I believe that's "kryptonite", as any man of your generation should know.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is not magnetic then almost certainly not a meteorite.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15859 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tony - I believe that's "kryptonite", as any man of your generation should know.

Dar gone-it , your appsolutely right .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
Canada
9842 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a chunk of nickel babbitt to me; used with bearings in old sawmills and stuff.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11970 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very interested to see what XRF results will show.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not look like silver to me.
Valued Member
Canada
246 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This quite educational....I had look up Babbitt metals

variants: or less commonly babbit metal
Definition of babbitt metal
: either of two alloys used for lining bearings:
a: a tin-base alloy
especially : one containing 2 to 8 percent copper and 5 to 15 percent antimony
b: a lead-base alloy containing 1 to 10 percent tin and 10 to 15 percent antimony with or without some arsenic
Pillar of the Community
United States
4138 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, unless you do an XRF you will never know.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1094 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do you have a Geiger counter, I doubt it radio active but that if you want to be sure, does look like some sort of metal mostly likely a 8.5-8.95 g/cm3
Copper Nickel Alloy Properties (Theoretical).

had a quick search and it seems that Monel (Copper Nickel) it probably the most likely, since it looks to be refined metal and not just ore, usually made to resist sea water

where as tin 50% & lead 50% used in electronic Solder Alloy

Edited by ryurazu
07/26/2021 11:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being a meteorite collector I can say 100% it's not a meteorite.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18958 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a chunk of Haematite to me.

The principal ore of silver is arcanthite, which doesn't look much like the ore sample pictured.
Pure arcanthite has a specific gravity of 7.3 but is normally found in association with other minerals.

Another ore that silver is found in, and commonly mined, is galena, which is a leas/zinc/silver combination. This ore has a cubic metallic appearance, so is does not appear that particular ore.
Edited by sel_69l
07/27/2021 02:49 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,983Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05