Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Here Buy Mint Sets? And If So, What Do You Do With Them?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,163Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy Mint sets but select ones: the satin finish ones from 2005 - 2010, I have to upgrade my 2008 and 2009 and get a 2007. Possibly upgrade my 2006 for the weird edge toning on the Jefferson nickel. After that it is only ones since about 2019 I purchase as one who is relatively new to collecting. I purchased the SMS 1966 for my birthyear and once in a great while I will buy a few from one year and cherrypick the coins to keep (usually those from 1971 onward). I find that I prefer buying an individual coin already cherrypicked rather than purchased half a dozen or more sets to find one in near or similar grade. It can be cost effective sometimes, especially if it isn't a series that is you main collecting focus. So, if I wanted a nice Mint state 1968 quarter, I would just pay the money to get one within my budget (and usually easy to a get a high grade one around MS66). However, once in awhile it is fun to purchase a few and see if you find some gems.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fireman01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
buy 2 sets break one
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a glutton for punishment, I have a min of 3 sets each of 1958 to 2020 Mint sets and a min of 3 sets each of 1958 to 2020 Proof sets. For some reason or another I have never collected the silver sets. Sometimes I'll buy sets just to break open and fill holes in my albums.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1256 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's sad, someone bought all the mint rolls before I got to them. Win some and loose some. But I'm sure more cool stuff will pop up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1256 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint sets** sorry my bank put aside 2 mint sets someone brought in for 2017, 2019 and 2020 but someone else got them. I have competition bat my small bank lol, it would have been an amazing deal for face value in the sets. Alot of drug addicts in the area I think steal thing and bring them in. So mayb better I didn't get this one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1256 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
**3 mint sets***,t auto correct is annoying and I keep having big Google adds pop up right over the reply.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I've been picking up the regular and silver proof sets since the introduction of the State Quarter program in '99, and now the Innovation Dollar proof sets, the first mint set I bought was the 2019 with the "bonus" W mint uncirculated cent. I also bought the 2020 set expecting it to have the W mint nickel since the proof sets had them, and was disappointed it wasn't included...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20373 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If and when I do get a Mint set I break it open so I can put the coins in my Albums.
just carl
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mojo423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy them to break apart and get graded. I've found some great coins. One was a $500 .25 cent texas 2004 MS69 and another a $900 2018P MS69 cent.
I still need to do a break even analysis to find out if this is profitable.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I buy them to break apart and get graded. I've found some great coins. One was a $500 .25 cent texas 2004 MS69 and another a $900 2018P MS69 cent.
Well done!
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericalynn13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought 2 silver mint sets since 1999.....I didn't buy this year because of the price. I keep them all in original packaging in archival type boxes meant for the sets.

I should open them and enjoy them more, but I don't. After 30 years of collecting and stacking and sorting I may take a break for a few years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4861 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When my son was born in 2005, I began purchasing a silver proof set for him every year. At first, I just put them away for safekeeping, but by the time he was 4 or 5 I was able to show them to him (and then put them away for safekeeping, of course).

I now have 16 of them in their original packaging inside of a lockbox that I plan to give him when he turns 18. I suspect he will just ask me to hold onto them for awhile longer while he is off at college, but at that point they will officially be his to do with whatever he likes, even if that means selling them.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennyweight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just buy the ones I find at really cheap prices. $1 bids at auctions, with low shipping is a favorite of mine. I never pay the full book price that way. $1 plus 3.99 - 5.99 for 10 or 13 dollar sets works for me. It takes a while so patience is a must. There will always be a day when you can get a great price on any set, it depends on luck.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,163Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05